Bruce Wells, Ph.D.
Ph.D., 2003, Johns Hopkins University
Hebrew Bible/Old Testament, Cuneiform Writing
- "The Quasi-Alien in Leviticus 25" in Reinhard Achenbach, Rainer Albertz, and Jakob Wöhrle, eds. The Foreigner and the Law: Perspectives from the Hebrew Bible and the Ancient Near East.(Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz, 2011), 135-155.
- "The Hated Wife in Deuteronomic Law," Vetus Testamentum 60 (2010): 131-146.
- Everyday Law in Biblical Israel: An Introduction [with Raymond Westbrook] (Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 2009).
- "The Cultic Versus the Forensic: Judahite and Mesopotamian Judicial Procedures in the First Millennium BCE,” Journal of the American Oriental Society 128 (2008): 205-232.
- "What Is Biblical Law? A Look at Pentateuchal Rules and Near Eastern Practice," Catholic Biblical Quarterly 70 (2008): 223-243.
historical, cultural, and intellectual contexts of the Hebrew Bible; Pentateuchal studies; biblical law; priestly literature; rhetorical criticism of biblical texts; legal and economic systems of ancient Mesopotamia and Syria; marriage, sex, and family relations in the ancient world
Faculty Expert Profile
Expertise: Christian Spirituality, Historical Theology