David W. Carpenter, Ph.D.
Specializations: History of Religions, Hinduism, Buddhism
Office: Bellarmine 210
- B.A., 1976, University of Oklahoma
- M.A., 1977, University of Chicago
- Ph.D., 1987, University of Chicago
- "Tapas," in Brill's Encyclopedia of Hinduism (Leiden: Brill, 2010).
- Yoga: The Indian Tradition [ed. with Ian Whicher] (London: RoutledgeCurzon, 2003).
- "Practice Makes Perfect: the Role of Practice (abhyāsa) in Pātañjala Yoga" in Ian Whicher and David Carpenter, eds., Yoga: The Indian Tradition (London: RoutledgeCurzon, 2003).
- Revelation, History and the Dialogue of Religions: A Comparative Study of Bhartṛhari and Bonaventure (Maryknoll, N.Y.: Orbis Press, 1995)
- "Emanation, Incarnation and the Truth-event in Gadamer's Truth and Method" in Laurie Patton, ed., Authority, Anxiety and Canon: Essays in Vedic Interpretation (Albany: State University of New York Press, 1994), 98-122.
Indian Religious History: ancient India, classical Hinduism, and Indian Buddhism