John J. McCall, Ph.D.
Professor, the John McShain Chair in Ethics
Office: B/L 273
- B.A., LaSalle College '72
- M.A., University of Notre Dame '78
- Ph.D., University of Notre Dame '80
- 2004 - 2006, Dean, College of Arts and Sciences, Saint Joseph's University
- 1981-Present, Department of Philosophy Saint Joseph's University
- 1998-1999, School of Business Georgetown University
- 1995-Present, (Affiliated Faculty - Ethics Program) Legal Studies Department The Wharton School University of Pennsylvania
- 1978-1981, Department of Philosophy Iowa State University
- Business Ethics (Undergraduate, MBA and Executive)
- Social and Political Philosophy
- Political Rights - Property and Free Speech
- Philosophy of Law; Criminal Justice Ethics (MS)
- Ethics in Educational Leadership (EdD)
- Kantian Moral Theory; Moral Problems
- Philosophy of Science
- Introduction to Metaphysics and Epistemology
- Philosophical Theories of the Human Person
Contemporary Issues in Business Ethics, (Wadsworth Publishing Company, 1985, 1990, 1996, 2004). A text/anthology, co-authored/co-edited with Joseph R. DesJardins. (Relevant material from the text is listed separately below.)
"Flexibility, Layoffs, Unemployment and Employer Responsibilities. (translated into German) in Soziale Sicherheit und Strukturwandel der Arbeitsloskeit. H.G. Zilian and Jorg Flecker, eds. (Graz, Austria: Buro fur Socialforschung, Forthcoming).
"Catholic Social Thought and Management Theory" With Stephen I/PR Porth. Review of Business. Forthcoming.
"Spiritual Themes of the 'Learning Organization." With BPR Stephen Porth and Tomas Bausch. Journal of Change Management, 12:3 (September,1999). [Also to be printed in a forthcoming text on work and spirituality]
"Dismissal Policies in the U.S. and Europe: Employment at Will I/PR vs. Just Cause." Social Justice Research, 10:2 (June, 1997).
"Just Cause" in Blackwell Encyclopedic Dictionary of Business I/PR Ethics. R. Edward Freeman and Patricia H. Werhane, editors. (Oxford: Blackwell Publishers, Inc., 1997).
"Free Speech in the Workplace" in Blackwell Encyclopedic I/PR Dictionary of Business Ethics. R. Edward Freeman and Patricia H. Werhane, editors. (Oxford: Blackwell Publishers, Inc., 1997).
"Products Liability" in Blackwell Encyclopedic Dictionary of I/PR Business Ethics. R. Edward Freeman and Patricia H. Werhane, Editors. (Oxford: Blackwell Publishers, Inc., 1997).
"Deceptive Advertising" in Contemporary Issues in Business Ethics, 3rd edition (1996).
"Fairness, Strict Liability, and Public Policy" in Contemporary Issues in Business Ethics, 2nd edition (1990).
"A Defense of Employee Rights" (with Joseph R. DesJardins), BPR Journal of Business Ethics, 4:5 (October, 1985).
"Welfare Reform: Cost Reductions or Increased Work PR Incentives?" in Economic Justice: Private Rights and Public Morality (Rowman and Allanheld, 1985), Ken Kipnis and Diana Meyers, editors
"Participation in Employment" in Contemporary Issues in Business Ethics, 1st edition (1985).
"Strategies for Protecting Whistle?Blowers" in Contemporary Issues in Business Ethics, 1st Edition (1985).
"Advertising and Free Speech" (with Joseph DesJardins) in Contemporary Issues in Business Ethics, 1st edition (1985).
Mentioned in SJU News
Faculty Expert Profile
Expertise: Business Ethics, Employee Rights, Moral Philosophy