Nancy M. Childs, Ph.D.
Office: 357 Mandeville hall
Phone: (610) 660-1643
PhD Century University
Masters California Institute of Technology
BS Duke University
Boards, Associations, Committees
- Invited national expert by First Lady Michelle Obama, “Help Families Make Healthier Choices” FDA Labeling announcement, (February 27, 2014)
- White House Convening on Food Marketing to Children, First Lady and White House Domestic Policy Council, (2013)
- USDA Secretary’s National Agricultural Research Education Extension & Economics Advisory Board (NAREEAB), national representative for Food Marketing and Retailing, member of executive committee, (2010-present)
- White House working group on Healthy Food Messaging and Dietary Guidance, (2010-2013)
- SAFE (Strategies for Agriculture & Food Excellence), Pennsylvania Governor’s Commission on Food Safety, Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, (2009-2011)
- International Food Information Council Foundation Board (2007-present)
- Innova Database Editorial Board, Europe (2008-present)
- Understanding Food Consumers and Customers
- Food, Film, and Culture
Food Policy, Health & Wellness
Understanding Sustainability Across the Food Chain
- Kapsak, W.R., Smith-Edge, M., White, C., Childs, N.M, and Geiger, C.J. (2013). Putting the Dietary Guidelines for Americans into Action: Behavior-based messages to motivate parents – Phase III, Journal of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 113(3).
- Kapsak, W.R., Smith-Edge, M., White, C., Childs, N.M, and Geiger, C.J. (2013). Putting the Dietary Guidelines for Americans into Action: Behavior-based messages to motivate parents – Phases I and II, Journal of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 113(2), 196-203.
- Hornack, B.A., Childs, N.M., Smith-Edge, M., Reinhardt, W.K., Dooher, D., White, D. (2013). Is it Time to Rethink Nutrition Communications? A five year retrospective of American attitudes toward food, nutrition and health, Journal of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 113(1),14-23.
- Riscinto-Kozub, K. & Childs, N. M. (2012). Conversion of Local Winery Awareness: An Exploratory Study in Visitor vs. Non-Visitor Attitude and Perception. International Journal of Wine Business Research, 24 (4), 287-301.
- Childs, N. M., In-store Marketing to Children: US Food Retailer Practices Abating Childhood Obesity. Portuguese Journal of Marketing, (27), 78-87.
- Reinhardt, Wendy, Elizabeth Rahavi, Nancy Childs, Christy White, (2011) “Functional Foods: Attitudes, Perceptions and Behaviors in a Growing Market”, Journal of American Dietetic Association, 111(6):804-810.
- Shaw-Hughner, Renee, Jill Maher, Nancy Childs, William Nganje, “Fish: Friend or Foe? Food policy and subpopulation warnings for consumers”, Food Policy, 34(2) 2009:185-197.
- Shaw-Hugner, Renee, Jill Maher, Nancy Childs, “Review of Food Policy and Consumer Issues of Mercury in Fish”, Journal of the American College of Nutrition, 27(2), 2008:185-194.
- Maher, Jill, Kenneth Herbst, Nancy Childs, Seth Finn, “Racial Stereotypes in Children’s Television Commercials: An Examination of the Current State of the Practice”, Journal of Advertising Research, 48(1), 2008:48(1): 80-93.
- "Up at Night: The Top Concerns", World of Food Ingredients, (2012) 54-58.
- "On a Sodium Drift Strategy". World of Food Ingredients, (2011) 10-13.
- "Shifting Food Policies". World of Food Ingredients, (2011) 50-53.
- "Consumers redefine value: Concepts that focus on fresh and healthy are winning the day". Grocery Headquarters. (2009) 16.
- "Still Searching for the Facts", World of Ingredients, (2009) 34-37, with J. Maher.
- Childs, N. M. Digital Grocery Commerce: Exploring the Potential for Grocery Shopping Apps, Washington DC: Food Marketing Institute. Childs, Nancy (ed.), 2013, 36p.
- SJU Business Research: Obesity Impact and Issues for the Food Industry, SJU University Press, 2007, 50p.
- Childs, Nancy, “Obesity Policy: Opportunities for Functional Food Market Growth”, Handbook of Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods, 2nd edition, Robert Wildman (ed.), CRC Press, Boca Raton, 2006: 517-521.
- Childs, Nancy, “Marketing and Regulatory Issues for Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals”, Handbook of Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods, 2nd edition, Robert Wildman (ed.), CRC Press, Boca Raton, 2006: 503-516.
- "Consumer Connection Through Mobility". FMI Connect, Food Marketing Institute, Chicago IL: June 2014.
- "Consumer Behavior and Nutrition", panelist, National Food Policy Conference, Washington, District of Columbia: April 2014.
- "Health & Wellness: Public Policy & Industry Response", USDA Cochran Fellowship Program, Philadelphia PA: Sept 2012.
- "Healthy Eating - What are we learning?" Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: March 2012.
- “Trends in Healthy and Better-For-You Foods”, keynote speaker for US Healthy Foods Trade Show, Seoul South Korea and Tokyo Japan: October 2010.
- “The Future Employee: Understanding the Leaders of Tomorrow and What Motivates Them”, Food Marketing Institute Future Connect annual conference, Dallas TX: October 12, 2009. (with T. Bourgeois)
- “Truth in Food Labeling”, 2009 Agriculture Legislative Chairs Summit, San Diego, California: January 2009.
Grants and Awards
- Food Export USA Midwest and Northeast, “Healthy and Better-for-you Foods Trends Industry Speaker: South Korea and Japan”, 2010
- Pennsylvania Wine Marketing and Research Board, “Consumer Attitudes Influencing Pennsylvania Wine Industry Opportunity”, (Center for Food Marketing), 2008-2009
- Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, “Importance and Meaning of rBST Milk Labels to Pennsylvania Consumers” (Center for Food Marketing), 2007-2008.
- Department of Human Services and Department of Labor, HSB research coordinator, (with J. Bradey Principal Investigator), “Healthy Lessons for Urban Youth”, 2004-2005
Gerald E. Peck Research Fellow, 2012-2015
2014 Woman of Influence in the Food Industry, Griffin Publications
2013 Highly Commended Paper Award. Emerald Literati Network, International Journal of Wine Business Research
- Saint Joseph’s University’s Extraordinary Merit Award Research
- Saint Joseph’s University’s Extraordinary Merit Award Teaching
- Saint Joseph’s University’s Extraordinary Merit Award Advising
- Saint Joseph’s University’s Extraordinary Merit Award Service
- Service Award FDA Center for Food Safety and Nutrition
Mentioned in SJU News
Faculty Expert Profile
Expertise: consumer behavior, food policy, food safety, obesity, labeling