Peter M. Graham, Ph.D.
I graduated with a B.S. in Chemistry from the College of William and Mary in 2000. At William and Mary I participated in undergraduate research under the supervision of Dr. Robert Pike and synthesized a series of copper-containing polymeric networks.
I continued my education at University of Virginia under the mentorship of Dr. Dean Harman where my research focused on the development of a tungsten dearomatization agent that would enable the functionalization of aromatic molecules such as benzene or pyridine. In 2005, I completed my dissertation entitled "The Synthesis and Reactivity of Tungsten Dearomatization Agents."
Next, I moved to Vancouver, BC, Canada as a post-doctoral fellow with Dr. Peter Legzdins in the field of carbon-hydrogen bond activation. In August of 2008, I joined the Department of Chemistry at St. Joseph's University.
My research program at Saint Joseph's University involves undergraduates from the Chemistry and Chemical Biology Programs. Students are involved with all aspects of chemical research and learn how to prepare and characterize transition metal complexes that are air and moisture sensitive.
B.S. The College of William and Mary (2000)
Ph.D. University of Virginia (2005)
Postdoctoral Fellowship - University of British Columbia (2005 - 2008)
- CHM 120 General Chemistry I
- CHM 125 General Chemistry II
- CHM 120L General Chemistry I Laboratory
- CHM 125L General Chemistry II Laboratory
- CHM 350 Inorganic Chemistry
- CHM 350L Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory
- CHM 440 Organometallic Chemistry
- Carden, R. G.†; Ohane, J. J.†; Pike, R. D.; Graham, P.M. “Synthesis of Tungsten and Molybdenum Carbon Dioxide Complexes” Organometallics 2013, 32, 2505-2508.
- Graham, P.M.; Buschhaus, M.S.A.; Baillie, R.A.; Semproni, S.P.; Legzdins, P. "Hydroperoxide-Initiated Intramolecular Insertions of NO into Metal-Carbon Bonds" Organometallics 2010, 29, 5068-5072.
- Graham, P.M.; Buschhaus, M.S.A.; Pamplin, C.B.; Legzdins, P.; "Reactivity of Cp*Mo(NO)(=CHCMe3) with Olefins and Dienes: C-H Activation Reactions of Molybdenacyclobutanes" Organometallics 2008, 27, 2840-2851.
- Graham, P.M.; Buschhaus, M.S.A.; Legzdins, P; "Intramolecular C-H Activation Reactions of Molybdenacyclobutanes" J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2006; 128(28); 9038-9039.
- Graham, P.M.; Delafuente, D.A.; Liu, W.; Myers, W.H.; Sabat, M.; Harman, W. D.; "Diels-Alder Reaction of Pyridine Activated by a π-Basic Tungsten Fragment" J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2005, 127, 10568-72.
- Graham, P.M.; Mocella, C.J.; Sabat, M.; Harman, W.D.; "Dihapto-Coordinated Amide, Ester, and Aldehyde Complexes and their Role in Decarbonylation" Organometallics 2005, 24, 911-919.
- Graham, P.M.; Meiere, S.H.; Sabat, M.; Harman, W.D.; "Dearomatization of Benzene, Deamidization of N,N-Dimethylformamide, and a Versatile New Tungsten π Base" Organometallics 2003, 22, 4364.
- Graham, P.M.; Pike, R.D.; Sabat, M.; Bailey, R.D.; Pennington, W.T.; "Coordination Polymers of Copper(I) Halides" Inorganic Chemistry 2000, 39, 5121.
Grants and Awards
American Chemical Society - Petroleum Research Fund Undergraduate Research Grant (2014 - 2017)
“Synthesis and Reactivity of Molybdenum and Tungsten Carbon Dioxide Complexes”