Welcome to the home page for the Biology Program at Saint Joseph’s University. Please follow the links on the left to learn more about us. The Department is located in the Science Center, in the main SJU campus, on the Philadelphia side of City Avenue.
The cornerstone of our educational philosophy is involving students in scientific research. The department has a long and productive history of student research and many students, both undergraduate and graduate, present their work at regional, national and international meetings each year. Many of our graduates enter schools of the health professions, graduate schools for M.S. or Ph.D. degrees, K-12 education, or industry jobs.
The Biology Department welcomes the Class of 2017 Biology Majors
Recent Departmental News
- The Biology Department a seeks a biologist for an anticipated tenure-track assistant professor position, available August 2014.
- Learn about faculty research going on in the Department.
- McNulty Scholars gradutes first class
- Information for incoming and first-year students including B.E.A.G.L.E. and Phage Safari
- For information on the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Science Education Grant to the Biology and Physics departments, click here.
- Biology Department organizes and hosts Philadelphia School District teacher training workshop on stormwater issues.
People in the news
- Students initiate a long-term monitoring project of local turtle populations
- Biology student awarded Goldwater scholarship
- Biology student overcomes adversity and heads to medical school
- Biology Professor speaks about backyard invasives
- Multi-investigator project aims to control an invasive fruit fly
- Department Faculty working on sustainable water filtration.
- Department Alumna returns to present McNulty Scholar lecture.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us by any of the following ways:
E-mail: Dr. Karen Snetselaar, Chair - firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to seeing you here at SJU.