The graduate programs of the Biology Department are intended for graduates who desire training in specialized fields and who are planning a career in teaching, research or professional practice in these areas. Applicants must have a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and must present evidence of ability to pursue graduate work as exemplified by high scholastic achievement, high aptitude scores and exemplary recommendations. The Biology Department reserves the right to require additional undergraduate work prior to admission.
Applicants should submit to the Office of Graduate Operations the following:
- A completed Saint Joseph’s University graduate application, which can be found online.
- Official sealed transcript(s) of undergraduate/graduate coursework. If you are an SJU graduate the Office of Graduate Operations will obtain your SJU transcripts for you.
- Two letters of recommendation appraising the candidate’s promise and capacity for graduate study, reflecting, from a professional’s point of view, the candidate’s ability to pursue a rigorous, independent course of study at the graduate level.
- A current résumé and/or CV.
- A personal statement outlining the candidate’s professional goals and educational objectives for the program, including the applicant’s rationale for program choice and professional study.
- $35 application fee; waived if attended an Open House or are an SJU grad.
- Official copies of Graduate Records Examination (GRE) scores.
M.A. in Biology (No Thesis required): Saint Joseph’s University operates on a rolling admissions basis for the M.A. in Biology program. The application and supplemental documents can be submitted to the Office of Graduate Operations at any time throughout the year for admission consideration.
M.S. in Biology (Thesis required): Candidates should complete their application by March 15 for fall admission. Applicants wanting to be considered for teaching, research, or graduate assistantships are advised to apply by March 1 for fall admission.
International applicants should click here for admission information.
Submit Applications to Office of Graduate Operations:
Saint Joseph’s University
5600 City Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19131
Questions regarding the application process: