Certification and Fieldwork Requirements
- EDL 660 Measurement and Evaluation of Instructional Outcomes should be taken as the first course in those programs leading toward the Principal Certification K-12 or the Curriculum Supervisor Certification.
- Programs leading toward the Principal Certification K-12 and to the Curriculum Supervisory require 360 hours of fieldwork that must occur over a 12-month period (i.e., fall, spring, summer semesters).
- A minimum of 180 hours of fieldwork must be recorded within a fall and spring semester when the student's school is in session.
- In programs leading toward the Principal Certification K-12 and to the Curriculum Supervisory, students may register for the first fieldwork course, EDL 695 Advanced Fieldwork/Seminar (formerly EDU 4595), after completing at least four of the principal certification courses or while they are taking their fourth course.
- In order to apply for the Principal Certification K-12 and for the Curriculum Supervisor Certification at the end of the program, students are required to have five years of full-time teaching experience in the type of school (elementary or secondary) for which they seek certification. The application for certification needs to be submitted to the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
For information on certification requirements by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, click here
For information on the required Praxis tests for each certification, click here