MS in Education: Reading Specialist,
Post Baccalaureate, Post Master's Program
Reading Specialists are individuals who have previously obtained a Level I Certification and are looking to provide support for classroom teachers. This program has a dual focus, the preparation of reading specialists and the development of master teachers remaining in the classroom. The program concentrates on providing the student with extensive preparation in assessment and instruction in the area of literacy. During the five-week capstone internship, students utilize their knowledge from previous coursework. Upon completion, students are eligible to take the Pennsylvania Reading Specialist PRAXIS exam and apply for a Reading Specialist Certification.
The Goals for Students Upon Completion of the Reading Specialist Program:
- Students will understand the psychological and sociological factors that shape literacy acquisition.
- Students will be able to utilize a battery of assessment measures to understand and address students’ literacy needs.
- Students will be able to act as a consultant in planning the direction and supervision of a school’s reading program.
- Students will be able to interpret the philosophy, methods, and materials of literacy program for parents and the community.
- The student will be able to analyze, design, implement, and evaluate literacy curricula.
To learn more about our graduate programs, prospective students are encouraged to attend a Graduate Open House.
All of the Candidates’ undergraduate coursework must be in conformity with the guidelines established for Saint Joseph’s teacher certification programs. Therefore, it is highly recommended that individuals who are interested in the graduate education program contact the graduate education advisor before applying to the program to review their undergraduate transcript and to determine if all required coursework has been completed. Formal acceptance into the graduate education program cannot be granted until all prerequisite coursework is successfully completed.
Candidates in a Post Baccalaureate or Post Master's Program will need to speak to an advisor prior to applying.
For more information about the program, download our brochure. For questions or advising, please contact:
Dr. Althier Lazar
Director, Graduate Reading Program