Students in this program major in Mathematics and minor in Education. Other specific courses must be taken as part of the general education program (GEP). This program requires four years to complete.
(The information below applies to students beginning at SJU in 2010 or later. The requirements for students beginning earlier than 2010 are also available.)
Certification and/or Degree Requirements:
- Required undergraduate coursework in Education and Special Education – taken as GEP Courses:
- EDU 150/150F Schools in Society with Field Experience (First Year Seminar)
- EDU 157/157F Adolescent Development with Field Experience (Social/Behavioral Science course)
- SPE 160/160F Introduction to Special Education with Field Experience (Integrated Learning course)
- SPE 203/203F Teaching in Inclusive Environments with Field Experience (Integrated Learning course)
- Specific mathematics courses required as mathematics electives as part of the Mathematics major requirements:
- MAT 321 Probability
- MAT 322 Mathematical Statistics
- MAT 233 or MED 551 History of Mathematics
- MAT 332 or MED 554 Geometry
- Note: Some MED courses may be used to satisfy requirements of the undergraduate mathematics major with the approval of the Department Chairperson.
- Required coursework in Education and Special Education as electives:
- EDU 246/246F Literacy, Language and Culture with Field Experience
- EDU 247 Literacy in the Content Areas
- SPE 313/313F Assessment: Identification & Progress Monitoring with Field Experience
- EDU 416/416F Instructional Techniques in Mathematics with Field Experience
- EDU 491 Secondary Student Teaching (12 credits)
- Certification Exams:
- PPST section of Praxis I
- Content Knowledge exam of Praxis
- The PPST exams should be taken before the end of the spring semester of the junior year.
- The Content Knowledge exam should be taken before the end of the spring semester of the senior year.
- Students should declare an Education minor before the end of the spring semester of the sophomore year.
- Applications for student teaching must be submitted before the end of the spring semester of the junior year.
- All documentation for PA Certification must be submitted by the end of the spring semester of the senior year.