Students in the Class of 2013 should select the related link on the right.
Philosophy majors in the Classes of 2014, 2015, and 2016 must complete the two required philosophy courses in the GEP courses, as well as eight additional courses for a total of ten philosophy courses.
Philosophy majors have the option of pursuing one of four tracks:
- History of Philosophy
- Social-Political/Philosophy of Law
- Mind, Language, Science
- Philosophy of Religion
While the major concentration requirements are the same for students in all four tracks, the integrated learning requirements (ILC) vary from track to track. Students must take 3 ILC courses within one of the four tracks. See the catalog for details about ILC requirements.
Major Requirements (10 courses):
- PHL 154 Moral Foundations (GEP requirement)
- PHL xxx a course in the Philosophical Anthropology area (GEP requirement) and
- One logic course: PHL 220 Logic or PHL 240 Symbolic Logic
- One history course in the Ancient/Pre-Modern period (see catalog for detailed list)
- One history course in the Modern/Contemporary (see catalog for detailed list)
- One NON-GEP Upper-level PHL elective course
- One advanced seminar -- PHL 495 Senior Seminar or PHL 395 Junior Seminar and
- Two or three upper-level PHL elective courses
- Philosophy course taken to satisfy the Faith and Reason GEP requirement and two additional upper-level PHL elective courses; or
- Three upper level PHL elective courses