The major is designed to provide, within the framework of broad interdisciplinary approach, a concentration of courses relevant to administration in the public sector. The program is designed to enable students to:
- pursue graduate studies in public administration and related fields such as law, policy analysis, and criminal justice;
- obtain employment in government, at all levels;
- pursue careers in the private sectors with firms who deal extensively with government;
- pursue careers in one of the health services (with a health services administration minor, described under Sociology Department); or
- prepare for administrative careers in general.