See below for complete descriptions of the forms and action steps for getting things done. Please note that the following information is intended for students who are majoring in the College of Arts and Sciences. Procedures may vary for students who are majoring in the Haub School of Business. HSB students should consult with the William F. Leahy Advising Center. All forms may be downloaded from this site. Paper copies are also available in the CAS Advising Support Center (BL 122) and Hawk Central (BL 121).
|Form Name||Advisor signature required||Chair signature required||Associate Dean signature required1|
|Registration Changes (Add/Drop)||Yes||No||No|
|Course Overrides||No||Yes (Chair for the course)
|Withdrawal from a Course||Yes||No||Yes3
|Independent Study Request||Faculty Mentor Signature
||Yes (for the Course)
|Permission to take a course elsewhere||Yes||Yes (if taking a major or minor course)
||Yes (For GEP & Electives)||Yes (For Major Courses)||No|
|Summer SJU Courses
||Yes (obtain PIN for online registration)||No||No|
Change from credit to Audit
|Request Pass/No Penalty||No Approval Required
See the SJU Catalog for details
1. For forms requiring a signature from an Associate Dean in the College of Arts & Sciences (Humanities, Social Sciences, Education, Natural Sciences, Math & Computer Science), students may drop off their form in the CAS Dean's Office, BL 113. If needed, you may also schedule a meeting with one of the Associate Dean's through this office.
2. Associate Dean for the division in which your major is offered.
3. Associate Dean for the division in which the course is offered.
Detailed information for Course Forms:1. Add/Drop a Course
Students may add and/or drop courses through the end of the add/drop period which typically extends through the first week of class (see the academic calendar for the official date). Schedule changes made during this period will not appear on a student’s transcript.
After the add/drop period ends, you can no longer drop a course, but you may be able to withdraw from a course by completing the paperwork to receive a grade of W in the course with the written approval from the Dean’s Office. Procedures for a withdrawal request are outlined later in this section.
First-Year students (Fall semester only):
You are required to use the Registration Changes Form. You must meet with your faculty advisor to discuss proposed changes and obtain his/her approval and signature. After obtaining your advisor’s signature, deliver the form to Advising Center for your College. The College of Arts & Sciences Advising Support Center is located in BL 122. The William F. Leahy Advising Center (HSB) is located in MV 289. Please note that you do not need to obtain your advisor's approval if you are only seeking a section changes for a course on your schedule. A request for a change in section may be made in the Advising Center for your College.
All other students who have registered for classes on-line:
Log onto My SJU to add/drop classes after discussing changes with your academic advisor. Please note that your PIN does not change for the Add/Drop period. You may continue to use the original registration PIN for a given semester.
Note: Remember that you are expected to do approximately 3 hours of outside class preparation for each hour spent in class. This translates to approximately 9 hours of work in addition to the 3 hours of class time for a 6th 3-credit course. This is a significant commitment which you should carefully consider and discuss with your advisor.
Required Form: Course Overload Form
Steps to request permission to take a sixth course
- Complete the first portion of the request form indicating your reason for the overload.
- Meet with your faculty advisor to obtain his/her approval.
- Meet with the Associate Dean for your major and obtain his/her approval.
- Deliver the completed form to Hawk Central (BL 121) and retain a copy for your records.
Steps to request an override for a course
The Course Override Approval process varies by department. However, in all cases, permission of the Department Chair is required for all closed or restricted courses. Some departments complete the override using the Authorization to Override a Course Seating Limit Form. However, most departments complete the course override electronically. If done electronically, the Department Chair opens a seat specifically for the student making the request. The student must register on-line through My SJU using the CRN number for registration. If the form is used, after appropriate signature(s) are obtained, deliver the completed form to Hawk Central (BL 121) and retain a copy for your records. Contact the relevant department for more information for the course for which you are seeking an override.[top] Withdrawal from Course form. A student withdrawing with appropriate permission will receive a W on his/her transcript. A student who stops attending class without appropriate permission will receive the grade VF or FA. Please see the University’s Academic Calendar for the deadline to withdraw from a class.
Required Form: Withdrawal from Course Form
Steps to request a withdrawal from a class before the deadline to withdraw:
- Complete the Withdrawal from Course form, indicating your reason for the request to withdraw.
- Meet with your faculty advisor and obtain his/her recommendation for withdrawal.
- Obtain approval from the Dean in which the course is offered:
- For courses offered in the CAS, drop off the completed form in the CAS Dean’s Office (BL 113) for approval.
- For HSB courses, you may seek approval from the HSB Leahy Advising Center (MV 289) or the Associate Dean for the HSB (MV 342).
- For CAS courses, you will be notified via email when your request has been approved.
Steps to request approval to take an Independent Study/Directed Readings Course:
- Identify a faculty member willing to serve as a faculty mentor for the experience.
- Work with your mentor to develop a course expectation form or plan of study for the experience.
- Meet with your Department Chair to review your proposal and obtain his/her approval.
- Present both the course expectation form and application form to the Associate Dean in which the course is offered for review and approval.
- Deliver the signed form to the Registrar’s Office (BL 106). They will create a course and register you for the class.
- Retain a copy for your records.
Required Form: Permission to Take Courses Elsewhere Form
Steps to request permission to take a course elsewhere:
- Identify a course offered at another college or university that meets your curriculum needs. Meet with your advisor and obtain his/her approval to take the course. Please note that HSB students may see their advisor or the William F. Leahy Advising Center (MV 289) for this approval.
- Request course approval:
- For courses offered in the CAS, submit the request form and a course description/syllabus to the CAS Dean’s Office (BL 113). The Associate Dean will evaluate the course for equivalency and consider your request to take the course elsewhere. Students will be notified via email of the Associate Dean’s decision. If approved, the Dean's Office will forward a copy of the signed form to the Registrar's Office.
- For courses offered in the HSB, submit this form and a course description/syllabus to the Chair of the relevant department in the HSB. After obtaining course equivalency approval from the Chair, submit this form to the William F. Leahy Advising Center (MV 289) for permission to take the course. Submit the signed for to the Registrar's Office.
- If you are a CAS student seeking permission to take a course in your major or minor, Department Chair/Program Director approval also is required.
- After approvals are obtained, register for the class. Earn a C or better in the course; request a transcript to be sent to the SJU Registrar’s Office.
Required Form: No form required - as of Intersession 2014, registration is an online process.
Steps to request permission to take an intersession course at SJU
(Please note: Dean’s Office approval is NOT required for intersession courses)
- Permission to take an elective and/or a GEP course requires only your faculty advisor’s approval. If approved, your advisor will give you your PIN for intersession registration through MY SJU. Registrar as you do for fall/spring semester. Please note: If an intersession course has been approved by the University to be taken as a GER and/or GEP course, it will be noted on the class schedule and on the syllabus which is linked to the PLS website. If such notation is not there, the course has not been approved for GER/GEP.
- If you intend to take a major course during Intersession, please confirm with your Department Chair or Program Director that the course can be used toward a major requirement.
Required Action[top]may not be used to advance your degree.
Required Form: No form required - as of Summer 2014, registration is an online process.
- Meet with your faculty advisor. Discuss summer course options and obtain his/her approval to take a summer course at SJU.
- Your advisor will give you your PIN for summer registration. Beginning March 24 you can log onto My SJU to register for up to 2 summer courses using your summer PIN.
- Regular pre-requisites apply--only the appropriate Department Chair may override pre-requisite requirements for a class.
- Co-op classes are restricted to co-op students only. At a designated date, these courses may be opened to the general student population. If interested in taking one of these classes, contact the Co-op Program.
- Tuition for summer classes reflects the College of Professional and Liberal Studies rate.
- If you change your mind about taking this course (or courses), you must drop the course(s) by end of the Add/Drop period for your summer session. You may do this through My SJU. If you drop the course by this date, you will get a full refund for the course and the course will be removed from your transcript. top]
Please note that students who are auditing a course are required to attend class and do regular assignments and exercises. They are not required to take the final exam or write a term paper. Exceeding the class cut policy determined by the instructor will result in the grade being changed from audit to withdrawal (W).
Required Form: Change from Credit to Audit form
Steps to request a course be changed from credit to audit:
- Meet with your instructor to discuss your reasons for changing from credit to audit and to obtain his/her recommendation.
- Obtain approval of Associate Dean of the Division in which the course is offered. For CAS classes, drop off the form in the CAS Dean's Office (BL 113). For HSB classes, please see Associate Dean Patrick O'Brien (MV 289).
- Submit the original to Hawk Central (BL 121) and retain a copy for your records.
Required Form: Pass/No Penalty Form (available in Hawk Central (BL 121).