As a student in J-1 status it is very important to remain “in status” at all times. Here is a list of ways to make sure you maintain your status.
- Pursue a full course of study at Saint Joseph's University, which means always carrying at least 12 credits for undergraduates or at least 9 credits for graduate students in the fall and spring semesters.
- Keep your passport valid at least 6 months into the future.
- Notify CIP of a change in your local address within 10 days of moving so we can update your SEVIS record.
- Attend the school that you are authorized to attend, as indicated on your DS-2019.
- File a timely application for a program extension.
- Maintain registration each semester until graduation or transfer to a new school.
- Follow required procedures for:
- moving from one educational level to another (e.g., Master's to PhD).
- transferring from one school to another.
- Limit on-campus employment to 20 hours per week when school is in session. Students in J-1 status must have the permission of their sponsoring agency for all employment.
- Refrain from off-campus employment without authorization.
- Possess proof of health and accident insurance for yourself and any dependents which includes a medical evacuation and repatriation benefit.