Center for International Programs

International Student Services

J-1 Academic Training

Academic training is defined as paid employment directly related to the J-1 student's major area of study.

A student in J-1 status may be authorized to participate in academic training during his or her studies or commencing no later than 30 days after completion of studies provided that:

  • the student is in good academic standing
  • the student has a job offer from a U.S. employer
  • the student is recommended for academic training by the department advisor
  • the training is an integral or critical part of the student's academic program
  • the student receives written approval in advance from the Responsible Officer of the J-1 program

If a student does not have a job offer by the time 30 days after completion is reached, then academic training is forfeited. The actual employment may begin after the 30 day limit.

J-1 students may obtain academic training prior to completion of studies as well as after completion of studies.

Academic training cannot exceed 18 months, including any prior academic training in the United States. The length of your academic training may not exceed the length of your program's classroom time. For example, if your J-1 program is only 12 months, you cannot receive more than 12 months of academic training. Any academic training granted prior to completion of studies shall be deducted from the amount of academic training available after graduation. Therefore, students are well advised to consider their goals carefully before applying for pre-completion academic training. Note that there is no distinction between "part-time" or "full-time" when calculating academic training time. Every month that you are authorized is deducted as a month used, regardless of whether or not the position is part-time or full-time.

Academic training must be recommended by the department and authorized by the J-1 sponsor. If a student has a DS-2019 issued by Saint Joseph’s University, then the Center for International Programs authorizes academic training. A student with a DS-2019 issued by an organization other than SJU must obtain authorization for academic training from that organization. Students sponsored by Fulbright or other USAID agencies may be subject to shorter time limits for academic training. Such students may wish to check with their sponsoring agencies for further information.

Since an offer of employment is required to obtain approval for academic training, the following information must be provided to your academic advisor:

• a description of the academic training
• name and location of the employer
• name and address of the training supervisor
• number of hours to be worked per week
• beginning and ending dates of the training
• how the training relates to the student's field of study
• why the training is integral or critical to the student's academic program

Once your academic advisor recommends the academic training, CIP will evaluate your application. If eligible, CIP will issue a letter authorizing the specific employment and, if your current DS-2019 is about to expire, issue a new DS-2019 for academic training purposes.

J-1 students and their J-2 dependent family members must maintain continuous health insurance while in the U.S., even while on post-completion academic training.