Center for International Programs

International Student Services

On-Campus Work

Working on-campus is benefit of F-1 or J-1 status. Still, the Department of Homeland Security's Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has regulations governing on-campus employment for students. F-1 and J-1 students can work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week while school is in session.  If you work for more than one on-campus employer, the total number of hours worked from all jobs cannot exceed 20 hours per week.  For example, if you have a Graduate Assistantship it is probably a 20 hour a week position and you are not entitled to work another on-campus job.  During holiday breaks and vacation periods, on-campus employment may be full time (over 20 hours per week), provided you intend to register at SJU for the next academic semester.


You are eligible to work on-campus as long as you are a full-time F-1 or J-1 student in an SJU degree program. F-1 students need a valid, active SEVIS Form I-20 from St. Joe's, a valid, unexpired passport and an I-94 card that is marked "F-1 D/S". There is no waiting period before you are allowed to accept an on-campus job and there is no CIP paperwork for F-1 students.  J-1 students must get a letter from CIP first.  Everyone will need to complete an I-9 form with the Human Resources Office or your hiring department.

Your on-campus employment may take place at any SJU office or department, or a commercial firm located here that provides direct services to students - like the bookstore or cafeteria. On-campus employment also includes graduate or teaching assistantships.

You may not engage in on-campus employment past the end of one semester if you will not be registering at Saint Joseph's for the next semester. This means that once you complete your course of studies you cannot remain employed on-campus, nor once you transfer your SEVIS record to another school. You are also ineligible to engage in on-campus employment if you are on a medical or academic leave of absence or on academic suspension; you may engage in on-campus employment only when you have resumed full-time studies.

Finding Work

There is no one office that collects and maintains a list of available on-campus jobs. It is up to each student to search out a position for themself. If you are looking for an on-campus job it is a good idea to ask any faculty or staff you come in contact with about possible positions.  Even if there is nothing open at the moment ask if you can fill out an application so that if something becomes available they will know you are interested.  While you are looking, make sure that you confirm a job is not just for students with "work-study" financial aid because they are not open to international students.

The offices that have the most positions that are not work-study jobs are:

Aramark (Dining Services)
Drexel Library
Campion Student Center

Center for Food Marketing
Information Technology

F-1 students who meet all of the above criteria do not need to obtain specific authorization from CIP. Speak to your hiring department's administrator to complete the necessary paperwork.

J-1 students must obtain a letter authorizing their on-campus work from the CIP office. You will need to let us know what office you will be working for.  You need to keep the letter with your immigration documents as proof of your on-campus work authorization.

Anyone who works on-campus will be required to apply for a Social Securtiy Number.