Center for International Programs - Semester/Year Abroad

Course Approval Process

All courses that you plan to take overseas must be approved prior to your departure. As proof of this, each student will need to complete a Course Equivalency Approval Form and submit it to the CIP office.  In order to fill out the form completely you must do the following:

1) Visit your study abroad program or University's website for the list of courses being offered in the term that you wish to study abroad.

2) Review the list of pre-approved courses for your program.  These are courses that have already been assigned an SJU equivalency.

3) Where equivalencies do not already exist, you MUST take the form and any relevant course information (descriptions or syllabi) to the appropriate faculty or staff member before departure to obtain their signatures on the Approval Form. PLEASE NOTE:

•   All Arts and Sciences courses must be approved by the Academic Associate Deans

•   Business courses must be approved by the appropriate Department Chair

4) Once you have at least 4-5 courses approved (depending on your program), take the form to your Academic Advisor for review and for their signature.  He or she will need to determine how your approved courses will fulfill your graduation and/or major requirements. 

5) Lastly, bring your completed Course Equivalency Form to the CIP for final review. A CIP staff member can confirm the equivalencies for any pre-approved courses (from the spreadsheets) that you have listed and make a copy of the form for your records.  The original will be kept in your file at the CIP.

Please note that it is YOUR responsibility to get approvals for all of your study abroad courses.  We recommend getting 2-3 "backup" courses approved and making copies of all approvals for your own records.