Center for International Programs - Semester/Year Abroad

Currently Abroad

Although you're away from campus, St. Joseph’s University and CIP are only a few clicks or a call away.

Helpful Tools and Information While Abroad:

CIP Study Abroad Policy

Important Contacts

Be sure to get a list of local contacts from your program's on-site staff. In addition, here's a list of useful St. Joseph’s University contact numbers:

During regular CIP business hours (Monday through Friday, 9am – 5pm):

Main office number: 610-660-1865

Kelly Horning, Assistant Director of Health and Safety, Semester Abroad:; 610-660-3479

Courtney Tomlinson, Study Abroad Advisor:; 610-660-1675

If you are trying to reach a CIP staff member outside of normal business hours, please contact the Office of Public Safety & Security: 610-660-1111.  They will connect you to the appropriate person.

Hawk Central/Financial Aid: 610-660-2000;

Student Health Center: 610-660-1175;

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS): 610-660-1090

CAS Advising Support Center: 610-660-2630 or 610-660-2632             

HSB Advising: 610-660-3420

Local US Embassies and Consulates

•   List of US Embassies

•   Students Abroad - US State Department website for students travelling abroad.

•   Voluntary Travel Registration - Register with a US Embassy or Consulate for information and assistance during your travels.

Additional Information

The following are links to helpful information while travelling:

•   Culture Shock

•   Currency

•   Disabilities

•   Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgendered Travelers

•   Travel Safety

•   Women Travelers

Career Development

Think about ways that you can make the most of your study abroad experience in terms of developing yourself professionally and personally for your future career goals. Could you: 

-network with local faculty and university members

-take on some international volunteer experience or service-learning course

-research career and job opportunities of your host city and/or country

- make connections with SJU alumni that may be living abroad

-write a research paper

Course Changes

If you find yourself already abroad and unable to register for a class that you had preapproved on campus before you left, don’t worry – the CIP can help you!

First, please provide the new course syllabus or description, as well as what you are hoping to get the course approved for (if known). Also list your Academic Advisor.

Send all information via email to Courtney Tomlinson, Study Abroad Advisor. The CIP will then contact the appropriate Deans, Chairs and Advisors to seek approval for your course. 

Want to Study Abroad for a 2nd Semester?

Contact Courtney Tomlinson with your plans as soon as possible. You will also need to get email approval for your Advisor and your Academic Associate Dean for your major. You will need to submit the approved courses you plan to take the 2nd semester.