SJU Study Abroad Scholarships
Saint Joseph's University offers several scholarships from $500 to $1,500 for Saint Joseph's University students studying abroad on semester or year programs. To be eligible for consideration, you must be an SJU degree-seeking undergraduate student and complete the SJU Study Abroad Application. Students who have not studied or traveled abroad in the past are strongly encouraged to apply. Awards are granted on the basis of merit, need, and the quality of the essay. Scholarships are for only one semester of study. Previous award winners are not eligible. Completed scholarship applications must be submitted in full to the Center for International Programs and received by March 15 for Fall programs and October 15 for Spring programs. All applications will be reviewed by a committee. All award decisions are final and may not be appealed. Please refer to the Study Abroad Grant Information Sheet for details on qualifications, eligibility, and expectations.
The Society of the Friendly Sons of Saint Patrick have generously donated monies to Saint Joseph's University to aid in the support of an SJU undergraduate student(s) who is accepted by SJU and the overseas university to study abroad in Ireland for a semester or year academic program. This award is made once a year. All students must apply by April 1st prior to the academic year during which they plan to study abroad. Scholarship award amounts vary year to year, but are estimated to be a minimum of $1,000 designated for tuition only and are awarded on a need and merit basis. Preference shall be given to students who pursue courses in Irish Studies or the Humanities while in Ireland. Please stop by the Center for International Programs for more information.
SJU Approved Programs:
- IFSA-Butler (Birkbeck, London; Macquarie, Queensland, Melbourne, Australia; and Argentina Universities Program only)
- IES (Vienna, Paris only)
- SIT (Chile only)
- CIEE (Ghana & Senegal only)
- Duke ICCS-Rome
- John Cabot – Rome
*Always check with your Study Abroad program to see if any scholarships or travel grants are offered!
For a comprehensive list of 40+ national scholarships for studying abroad, please see our Scholarship Chart. Note: These scholarships are not endorsed by the CIP, just provided as a starting place for your research. For the most up-to-date information, please see individual scholarship websites.
Scholarship Search Engines
- University of Minnesota, Learning Abroad Center.
- GoAbroad.com Scholarship Search
Financial Aid and Loan Information
- International Student Loan Center: The ISLP, developed by the International Education Finance Corporation (IEFC), offers Stafford and alternative loan programs for US students studying abroad. ISLP loans are funded by the Citizen Bank, Fleet Bank and Bank of America and are guaranteed by The Education Resources Institute (TERI).
- International Education Financial Aid
- FinAid! (National Association of Financial Aid Administrators)
- StudyAbroad.com Financial Aid Info
**All forms of financial aid can be applied to Saint Joseph’s semester abroad programs. This includes Saint Joseph’s grants, loans, scholarships, and state and federal awards, such as Pell Grants and Guaranteed Student Loans. Students who have questions about their current financial aid package should contact their Financial Aid Advisor.**