International Students

Admissions Procedures for the International StudentM. Inoue, B.S. Legal Studies '08

This information is for all academically qualified international students interested in earning an Associate's or Bachelor's Degree at Saint Joseph's University.

Credentials of all international students within the United States must be received at least 30 days before the intended start semester. Credentials of students residing outside the United States must be received and evaluated at least 60 days before the term begins. All international applicants must submit the following:

Academic Credentials

Original or certified copy of original transcript from each high school and university previously attended

  • A certified copy is one that bears an original signature of the registrar or other designated school official, an original impression of the institution's seal or signature/seal of the examining board. Uncertified or notarized copies are not acceptable.
  • Unofficial photocopies, fax copies, notarized copies of records and exams are not accepted.
  • If a certified true copy of the official transcript is submitted at the time of application, the original transcript(s) must be presented upon arrival.
  • Applicants must send secondary school academic records and all transcripts from all colleges and universities to WES (World Education Services, 800-937-3895), AACRAO (American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers, 202-296-3359) or ECE (Education Credential Evaluations) for an official credit evaluation.

Testing Requirements

TOEFL - required of all non-native English speakers

  • Minimum score: 550 PBT, 213 CBT, 80 IBT
  • Test results must not be more than 2 years old
  • Must be taken at official TOEFL testing center; institutional TOEFL not accepted.
  • TOEFL may be waived on an individual basis for students submitted 30 transferable credits earned at an accredited US or English speaking college or university. Credits must include equivalency of ENG 1011/1015 and ENG 1021/1025.
  • A student who completes ELS Language Center's Level 112 with a recommendation is not required to submit a TOEFL test score.

Applications cannot be considered until all academic records and evaluations have been received. No decisions can be made from incomplete files. Acceptance is based on academic performance. Attendance is dependent on compliance with all institutional and immigration policies.

Financial Responsibility Documents

International students applying for F-1 or J-1 visa status are also required to submit:

  • Proof of their ability to meet their financial obligations while pursuing undergraduate studies at the University in the form of a letter from a bank stating that sufficient funds are available to finance all educational and living expenses for the first year of study; and
  • A letter of financial support signed by the sponsoring person or agency.

The I-20 immigration form, necessary for securing an F-1 visa, or the DS-2019 form, necessary for securing a J-1 visa is issued by the Center for International Programs only to a student who has been accepted to the University and provides current documentation of financial support, as required by US immigration authorities. International undergraduate students in F-1 and J-1 status must maintain full-time enrollment (12 credits) during both the fall and spring semesters.

International students applying to the College of Professional and Liberal Studies should be aware that no financial aid programs are available to non-US citizens. Students must finance all educational and personal expenses totally through their own resources. Funds can be accepted only in US dollars, and drafts are acceptable only if drawn on US banks. The University observes all regulations of the student's home country regarding foreign exchange.

Upon arrival at the University, all international students must make an appointment to see the academic advisor for international students in 117 BL to register for courses.

All international students whose primary language is not English or who have English language deficiencies must take ESL 1255 and 1265, Composition and Critical Thinking for Non-Native Speakers of English, in their first two semesters. ESL 1255 and 1265 will satisfy the General Education Requirement in modern language if taken before any other college level course in English.