CREDIT FOR PRIOR LEARNING
CLEP (College Level Examination Program) provides the opportunity to earn college credit for the successful passing of tests in General or Subject areas. These tests measure learning acquired outside as well as in the classroom setting. Students must be in good academic standing and must get written approval from the Associate Dean or Director of Admissions in the College of Professional and Liberal Studies before taking a CLEP exam in order to ensure the applicability of CLEP credits to a PLS program. A listing of passing scores is available in the PLS office (117 B/L). Saint Joseph’s University is a national CLEP testing center. Click here for a link to the CLEP/SJU Course Equivalencies.
STEPS TO CLEP
- All PLS students must schedule an advising appointment with the Associate Dean or Director of Admissions to ensure that the CLEP credits will be applicable to the student's degree. Get the free booklet CLEP Colleges which lists all participating CLEP colleges and test centers and the CLEP Information for Candidates booklet available in the PLS office.
- Select a test site, test dates and the examination you want to take.
- Register 2 weeks prior to test date. Registrations will not be accepted after this date. Only one subject may be taken at a time.
- Complete the Registration-Admission form (see link below) and return to: Saint Joseph's University, College of Professional and Liberal Studies, Room 117BL, 5600 City Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19131.
- Saint Joseph's University requires the following to be sent with your registration:$80.00 check made out to CLEP (or pay by credit card - Visa/MasterCard/American Express on the day of the test) and a $20.00 check made out to Saint Joseph's University (non-refundable).
- Indicate the code number of the school you want to receive your grades (27 on form). Saint Joseph's code #2801.
- An official Study Guide is available by ordering direct from College Board or by purchasing online or at local bookstores.
- Any questions, please contact Maire Stortini, CLEP Coordinator, at 610-660-1467 or by email at email@example.com
- Future dates to be determined, please contact 610-660-1467 with questions.
Location of CLEP testing site on Campus: Bellarmine Hall, Room 101
You may not challenge, CLEP, or ELAP a course that you are presently taking. You are required to “drop” or withdraw from the course, according to the catalog and schedule procedures, before seeking to challenge, CLEP, or ELAP the course. You cannot normally earn credit by exam in a course when you have completed a more advanced course in the same subject. A grade of P (pass) is recorded in all cases of credit by examination, including ELAP; this grade does not affect your cumulative average.
Students may not use a CLEP test or ELAP for any of the last 10 courses before graduation.