- If off-campus (Winter or Summer Break, Study Abroad, etc), can students send send their laptops to the Technology Service Center for repair?
- If I am a Business or Psychology major, do I have to purchase one of the Mandatory Recommended Laptops?
- If I am not a Business or Psychology major, can I still take advantage of the discount offered through the Laptop Program?
- If I am not a Business or Psychology major, but want to purchase a system through the SJU Laptop Program, should I pick one system over another? Do certain departments stipulate which one to purchase?
- Why do the Business and Psychology Laptop Programs use different Computer Platforms?
- What is your support for Microsoft Windows 7 and 8?
- My Wireless is not set up correctly, is there a guide on how to set it up?
- Why does my Wireless lose connectivity at times?
- I lost my Ethernet Cable. Can I get a spare?
- Who do I call if I have an technical issue with my computer?
- Where do I take my computer if I have a technical issue with it?
- Can I get a Loaner if my computer is set out for repair?
- What version of Microsoft Office do I need? And do you have any discounts for purchasing it?
- What Accessories are included with the laptops?
- What Warranties do you offer for laptops purchased through the Laptop Program?
- What if my computer has Accidental Damage, is it still covered through the Warranty?
- Why should I buy from the SJU Laptop Program if I am an HSB Student?
- Why should I buy from the SJU Laptop Program if I am a Psychology Student?
- Can I learn more about Apple computers on the SJU Campus?
- Why should I buy from the SJU Laptop Program if I am not a HSB or Psychology student?
- When should I order my laptop? Is there a deadline?
- What Anti-Virus protection do the laptops come with? Is there a free version for those not in the program?
Yes, however the student is responsible for all shipping costs.
The better solution is to call the Partnered Vendor directly for support. The Vendor's warranty is honored internationally. Each country has their own repair center. By calling the appropriate International number, students will receive instructions on having their computer repaired.
No, you may purchase your own laptop from any vendor as long as it meets our minimum required
Yes, please click here for more information.
If I am not a Business or Psychology major, but I want to purchase a system through the SJU Laptop Program, should I pick one system over another? Do certain departments stipulate which one to purchase?
Yes, certain departments stipulate which platform is better suited for your specific academic major. Please click here for more information on this.
Haub School of Business students and Psychology students have different computing needs.
The Psychology department specifies the Apple platform for two major reasons:
1. All of the tenured/tenure-track Psychology faculty use an Apple computer as their primary office computer and are thus more comfortable teaching on the platform
2. Post Hall, the building in which the Psychology department resides, has classrooms, computer labs, and research labs that are mostly equipped with Apple computers.
The initial decision to be an Apple-based laptop program that was made when the program was first piloted in 1998 was due to the fact that the majority of the Psychology professors at the time preferred the Apple platform.
HSB students are required to use several business applications such as finance, accounting, and stock programs that are only compatible with the Windows platform. For example, SAP software is required for all Accounting majors and it is only supported on the Windows platform.
Saint Joseph's University provides support for Microsoft Windows 7 and 8. The limited support provided by the Technology Service Center includes access to the SJU network--both wired and wireless, printing and AntiVirus support.
Yes, please follow this link: Wireless Access.
Wired connectivity is preferred in all cases and ensures the strongest and fastest connection possible
Call the Technology Service Center (TSC) Help Desk at 610-660-8817. You may also e-mail them at TSC@sju.edu or email@example.com.
Please take your laptop or desktop to the TSC in the Science Center Room 129.
If you are full-time, undergraduate HSB or Psychology student who purchased your computer through the SJU Laptop Computer Program, then yes, the TSC will provide you a loaner to keep until your computer is returned fully repaired and ready for use.
For Windows you will want Office Professional Plus 2010.
For MAC you will want Office 2008.
You may utilize a discount for the two applications at the SJU Bookstore or the JourneyED. Journey Ed offers a download option for MS Office Professional Plus 2010 that is less expensive than the version (MS Office Professional Academic 2010) offered at the Bookstore. The version at the Bookstore offers a CD, while the download version does not. If you do not purchase the CD version, be sure to keep your emails from Journey Ed that prove your purchased the product (1. proof of payment 2. Product Key). You will need both of these emails to install the software again at a later time (i.e. - in the event of a harddrive replacement).
The laptops include items such as a Backpack, Ethernet Cable, Defcon Security Lock, a 1 GB USB memory stick, a sleeve, and a kaleidoscope mouse.
The HSB Laptop comes with two 4 year warranties that cover both hardware failure and accidental damage.
The Psychology Laptop comes with a 3 year warranty that covers hardware failure but does not include accidental damage. Accidental damage for Psychology laptops may be covered if you add a rider to your home insurance policy. Independent insurance providers specifically cover student purchases, however, and they are available through the following websites:
If it is a HSB laptop purchased through the program, then yes, it is covered through the 4 year warranty.
If it is a Psychology laptop, then no, it is not covered through the 3 year warranty. Please look into adding a rider to your home insurance policy for coverage on this. Also, independent insurance providers specifically cover student purchases, however, and they are available through the following websites:
HSB students who purchase through the SJU Laptop Program are entitled to two 4 year warranties that cover both hardware failure and accidental damage. The TSC also provides advanced support to these students by performing repairs and facilitating all advanced repairs directly with the Windows Partnered Vendor. Additionally, HSB students are entitled to Loaner Laptops if their computer goes out for repair.
Psychology students are entitled to a 3 year AppleCare warranty that covers all hardware failure. Please note that accidental damage is not covered under this warranty. If you seek accidental damage coverage, please refer to the warranty question. The TSC also provides advanced support to these students by performing repairs and facilitating all advanced repairs directly with Apple. Psychology students are also entitled to loaners if their computer goes out for repair.
Yes! Please head over to the first floor of the Drexel Library where there is a table set up especially for Apple product information. Also on display and available for use are two computer models currently available from Apple.
You are still entitled to the aggressive options, warranties, and prices offered by both the Psychology and HSB laptops--please refer to Open Laptop Program site. Please note, however, that you are not entitled to a loaner if you are not a mandatory program student.
When should I order my laptop? Is there a deadline?
It is highly recommended that you purchase your HSB Laptop between May 1st and August 1st to ensure timely delivery. Orders placed after August 1st may get caught in back-to-school rush and experience back orders and delays.
All HSB systems come pre-installed with Norton Anti-Virus Endpoint.
Psychology students can download Norton AntiVirus for free from the following site: http://it.sju.edu/security-privacy/virus_software.html.All registered SJU students can download either Symantec Endpoint Protection for PC or Norton AntiVirus for Mac from the following site: http://it.sju.edu/security-privacy/virus_software.html.