The following are the protocol forms currently in use, both for teaching and research. The renewal form should be used for the renewal of either research or teaching protocols.
- IACUC Form A - New Protocol Review form
- IACUC Form B - Request for Reapproval of Research Involving Laboratory Animals
- IACUC Form C - Research Conducted at Collaborating Institutions or Facilities
- IACUC Form D - Biological and/or Chemical Hazards
Modifications to protocols (addenda) can be made to an active protocol at any time. A letter should be written to the IACUC detailing the specifics of the addendum. Information which should be included are: rationale for the changes, detailed description of the procedures, justifications for the animals and the animal numbers, and etc. Remember that if the procedures described are in Animal Welfare Category 2 or 3, a literature search and a description of the procedures to minimize animal discomfort MUST be included. A copy of the addendum letter must be sent to the Animal Facility Manager.
Important publications useful in filling out the protocol form(s)
- How to Write an Application Involving Research Animals
- Guidelines for the Design and Statistical Analysis of Experiments Using Laboratory Animals
Individuals conducting field studies must also submit an animal research protocol form for IACUC review. The standards used for evaluating animal procedures are those espoused by the relevant associations. These field guides can be read at the following web-sites:
The IACUC usually meets on 2nd Thursday of the month .The completed protocol form, renewal or addendum with the necessary signatures and supporting documentation MUST be submitted by 25th of the previous month. These forms must be submitted to the Office of Research Services (ORS) located at 215 City Avenue Merion Place.
The decision of the IACUC is generally relayed to the investigator by the following week.