THE APPLICATION SYSTEM WILL CLOSE TONIGHT (2/7/14) AT 11:59 PM.
The application system for the 2014 Summer Scholars Program in now open. Directions are at the bottom of this page.
In order to apply for a position in the 2014 Summer Scholars program, complete the following:
- Make sure you meet the following eligibility requirements:
- You are currently enrolled as a full-time, day, undergraduate student in either CA&S of HSB.
- You are not enrolled in the HSB COOP program.
- You will not be a graduating senior in May, 2014.
- You will be registered for SJU course work for the Fall of 2014.
- You have, as of the end of the Fall, 2013 semester, a cumulative GPA of at least 2.80.
- There are no other issues (i.e. visa status) that prevent you from receiving payment for work.
- Review the list of volunteer faculty mentors and identify faculty engaged in projects that you find interesting. Schedule an appointment to meet with those faculty and discuss the possibility of working with them. In order to apply to the program you MUST identify a faculty member who is willing to serve as your mentor.
- Once you have identified a faculty mentor, begin the process of formulating your proposal. Proposals consist of the following sections:
- Title of the proposed project
- Your name
- Any relevant courses you have already taken
- Background information for the proposal (one to a few paragraphs)
- A description of the proposed project, methods to be used, etc. (this can be up to a page and is the most important section of the proposal)
- A description of any work already performed by you on the proposed project.
- Name and contact information for your faculty mentor
The entire proposal should be no more that 2 pages in length.
While you should work closely with your prospective mentor in formulating the proposal, the proposal is to be written by you, not your prospective mentor.
You can download sample proposals from previous years using these links:
- Recommendations from two SJU faculty members. One of the recommendations must come from your proposed mentor. The other can come from any SJU faculty member or another person who knows you well. You will need to supply the names and contact information of the people who will be serving as recommenders when you complete the on-line application. The recommenders will then be contacted and they will be able to submit their letters electronically. ** Most students will only need TWO reference letters, one from your proposed mentor and one from another person, usually an SJU faculty member. A few positions are externally funded and require three references. If you are applying for such a position your mentor will tell you that you need three references. Do not submit a third unless your mentor tells you you need to do so. **
- The application system for 2014 is now open: Once you have you have identified your prospective mentor, you have your application prepared as a word document, and you have the contact information for both your prospective mentor and the other person who will be providing a letter of recommendation, you may submit your application electronically through MySJU. Login to your MySJU account and navigate to the "School Services" tab. On the left-hand side you should see a "Summer Scholars" channel. Click on the "Apply Now" link, fill in the required information and upload your application document. Once you have everything in, click "submit". Please note you will NOT be able to return later to make changes!
- Please do not submit your application until you have all of the materials and are ready to proceed. Once you submit your application you should receive a confirmation e-mail within 24 hours. If you do not receive this e-mail, contact Dr. McCann at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Accounting||Fine & Performing Arts||Biology|
|Foreign Languages and Literatures||History||Marketing|
Please contact Dr. Mike McCann if you have any questions about how to apply.