Click here for step-by-step instructions to complete the FAFSA.
2. How to accept financial aid on MYSJU
1. Log into my.sju.edu
2. Click on the School Services Tab
3. On the the Administrative Services box, click the Financial Aid folder; Award folder; Award by Aid Year.
4. Select the appropriate aid year:
5. Complete the Cash Management Statement on the Resources/Additional Information Tab
6. If you are selected for verification, you need to accept the statement on the Terms and Conditions tab before you can accept your aid.
7. You will now be able to access the Accept Award Offer tab. You will be able to review your award package and accept the full or partial amount of your award(s).
1. Go to https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action and click Sign In
2. Sign in using your 4 digit FAFSA PIN
3. This brings you to the welcome page where you can select the first requirement: Entrance Counseling:
4. Read the information provided and click Complete Entrance Counseling. This is the only entrance counseling requirement that SJU requires.
5. Select the appropriate counseling type. Option 1 is for undergraduate or graduate students with Stafford Loans. Option 2 is for graduate students only with a PLUS and/or Stafford Loan.
Once you have completed the Entrance Counseling requirement, you can move onto the Master Promissory Note:
6. If not automatically directed, click on the Home tab at the top of the page and then click the green 'My Profile' button:
7. This will bring you back to the welcome screen where you can now select 'Complete Master Promissory Note':
8. Select the appropriate type of loan in order to complete the correct Master Promissory Note (MPN):
Once this is complete, you will get an e-mail confirmation - make sure that all steps have been completed. If you receive the confirmation e-mail, you do not need to check with SJU on the status of the loan.
1. Apply for a PIN on the pin.ed.gov website.
2. Once you have received your PIN, you can go to www.studentloans.gov in order to complete the PLUS Application. Click Sign In and log in using your PIN number.
3. Click on the 'Request a Direct PLUS Loan' Link.
4. Select Parent PLUS and complete the application.
5. If not automatically directed, click on the Home tab in the top left corner and then click 'Complete Master Promissory Note'
6. Select Parent PLUS and complete the MPN.
Once you have completed the necessary steps, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. If you receive the confirmation e-mail, you do not need to check with SJU on the status of the loan.
If your FAFSA is selected for federal verification, your IRS Tax Transcripts are required for our office to complete the verification process. Rather than requesting a tax transcript through the IRS, you have the option to update your FAFSA by using the Data Retrieval Tool to link your information with the IRS. Below is a tutorial to explain how to use the Data Retrieval Tool:
If you are not eligible or prefer not to use the Data Retrieval Tool, you can order your transcript directly from the IRS. Please make sure to request a Tax Transcript as that is the only acceptable type; Tax Account Transcripts or Record of Account Transcripts are NOT acceptable. Below are three ways you can order your Tax Transcript:
1. To order by phone:
- Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and select the following prompts:
- Option 2 (Personal Income Taxes)
- Option 1 (Tax History)
- Option 2 (Tax Return Transcript)
- Enter and verify Social Security number (if requesting a joint return, both SSNs required)
- Enter and verify the number of your street address
- Press 2 for Tax Transcript and indicate which year (i.e. 2011)
2. To order online:
- Go to www.irs.gov
- Click Order a Transcript under Step 3
- Enter your SSN, Date of Birth, Street Address, and Zip Code as it appears on your taxes
- Click Continue
- Select RETURN Transcript for Tax Year (i.e. 2011)
- Click Continue
3. To order by mail:
- Go to http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf to download the 4506-T Form
- Complete Form 4506-T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return)
- Mail to the address indicated on the form
- The IRS will mail your transcript(s) within 5 to 10 days