**Important information for Military Students**
College Education for Military Service Members and Veterans
Drawing from military units around the world, Saint Joseph's Univeristy is ready to serve those who have served our country. Our staff understands the many benefit options available to today’s active duty, guard or reserve veterans, and is ready to mobilize today’s military students.
SJU offers a wide array of academic programs and services which makes SJU a military-friendly university. Most of our Veterans and Military students enroll in Graduate programs, Haub Degree Completion Program or the College of Professional and Liberal Studies. Some students in our traditional undergraduate college also utilize military benefits to finance their eduation. Click here to explore information about the various programs available for study at Saint Joseph's University.
- Email or visit Hawk Central. You will need to provide your Certification of Eligibility (COE) which is available from the Veterans Administration at www.gibill.va.gov or 1-800-827-1000 or your Tuition Assistance Letter from your military division.
- Keep your address and email address current with SJU via Hawk Central. Click here for instructions.
- Keep your direct deposit information current with SJU.
- SJU participates in the Yellow Ribbon program for eligible VA students.
- Apply for Federal aid (fafsa.gov) which may include grants (click here) and loans (click here) which can be used in conjunction with Military Benefits
- Click here to see which programs offer military tuition discount for service members and their spouses.
- Payment plans are available to offer assistance in covering costs click here for more information.
- If a refund is due based on a change in your registration status (Drop or withdrawal of a class) it will be processed according to the SJU Tuition Account Refund Policy
- If the payment was made directly by a third payer (i.e. VA, TA) the refund will be processed directly to them.
New Student Loan Resource Available to U.S. Service Members
U.S. Department of Education and Student Loan Servicers Collaborate to Provide Timely, Useful Information
America's servicemen and servicewomen will now have more information about their federal education loans, special benefits available to them, and their repayment options with the release of a new brochure announced today.
"We know that our servicemen and women are faced with an abundance of challenges and transitions while deployed and upon returning to civilian life," said U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan. "With Memorial Day approaching, we want to redouble our efforts to ease their transition and provide them with educational opportunities, resources, and the ongoing support they have earned. This easy-to-read brochure is a small but important way to help – it outlines what service members need to know to manage their student loans and maximize their benefits."
The brochure, entitled For Members of the U.S. Armed Services: What You Need to Know About Your Federal Student Loan Benefits, was developed by the Department and the four Title IV Student Loan Servicers: FedLoan Servicing, Great Lakes Educational Loan Services, Nelnet Education Loan Servicing and Sallie Mae Department of Education Loan Services.
The free brochure is divided into three parts: the first section describes the special benefits and repayment options available to service members; the second section offers helpful tips for active duty or deployed service members; and the third lists useful student loan resources. Some of the tips are:
- Establishing online access to student loan accounts to review and make payments online;
- Exploring repayment plans based on income, which could qualify borrowers for low or zero payment and possible loan forgiveness;
- Signing up for automatic payments to help keep loans current; and
- Placing an active duty alert on credit reports to reduce the risk of identity theft.
Consumers can access the brochure at http://StudentAid.gov/resources#military-loan-benefits