Mission statement for the Sustainability Working Group on Food
Saint Joseph’s University is committed to the Jesuit principles of economic and environmental justice, and we will continuously work towards the development of a just food system. We will support sustainability by focusing on economic, environmental, and social practices in areas relating to the production, distribution, marketing and consumption of food, that protect and enhance human and natural resources.
Goals of the Sustainability Working Group on Food
We will increase our level of sustainable food and packaging offerings by 5% year over year and we will educate our community on a continuing basis on the value and need for sustainability.
Current and planned sustainability efforts in Dining Services include:
- "Green plate" specials will be available every day starting April 19
- Beginning in April, purchase a reusable mug for $6 and get free refills on fountain beverages through the end of the semester.
- One day's food waste will be collected and weighed and the results shared with the community.
- Cage-free eggs will continue to be made available by request at no extra charge.
- Trayless dining program continues to save an estimated 500 gallons of water per person per year.
- Used fryer oil is recycled into biodiesel fuel.