Looking for ways to be more active in your faith this lent? Here are a few ideas from Campus Ministry:
- Pick up the booklet What Are You Doing for Lent this Year? in the back of the Chapel.
- CRS RICE BOWL: This Lent, St. Joe’s Catholic Relief Services Ambassadors invite you to Live Lent by participating in CRS Rice Bowl. Rice Bowl invites us to PRAY to deepen our relationship with God and reflect on what type of person He calls us to be, to FAST to remove the things that get between us and God and to live in solidarity with those in need, and to GIVE alms to our brothers and sisters in need, honoring Jesus’ call to serve our neighbors. You can pick up a Rice Bowl and a Lenten calendar in the back of the Chapel after Ash Wednesday Mass or in Wolfington Hall. Fill it with loose change throughout Lent and help millions of our brothers and sisters in need! You can return it at the end of Lent and 75% of your donations will support CRS’ humanitarian relief programs in nearly 100 countries worldwide and 25% of your donations will go to hunger and poverty alleviation efforts in our own community. Please contact Greg Torres at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or would like a Rice Bowl.
Sunday Mass: 11 AM (Community Mass), 7 PM (Full choir and Band), 9 PM (Candlelight Mass)
Daily Mass: Monday-Friday 12:20 PM, Wednesday 8:45 PM with Adoration and Reconciliation, Thursday 5:30 PM
Reconciliation: Wednesday 4:30-5:15 PM and available everyday from 9AM-7PM at the Jesuit Residence on City Avenue. (Go to the visitor entrance and dial the priest of your choice.
- PRAY Evensong (evening prayer) every Wednesday at 5:30 PM in the Chapel. This half-hour service features a community reflection – listen, share, reflect, and pray with your fellow students.
- PRAY the Stations of the Cross focused on the theme of social justice. Wednesday, March 25th at 5:30 PM in the Chapel. (replaces Evensong)
- PRAY at Sunday Mass: 11 AM (Community Mass), 7 PM (Full choir and Band), 9 PM (Candlelight Mass)
- PRAY at Daily Mass: Monday-Friday 12:20 PM, Wednesday 9 PM (with Adoration and Reconciliation), Thursday 5:30 PM (Reconciliation at 4:30 PM)
- PRAY the Lenten Practice of the Ignatian Examen: Group Guided Meditation Sessions. Lent is a time to examine our lives for greater depth and renewed grace. The Ignatian Examen is a method of self review and awareness. The Office of Mission Programs will offer a guided examen for members of the SJU community each week of Lent: Tuesdays at 12 pm - SJU Chapel of Saint Joseph and Wednesdays 4:30 pm - Wolfington Hall, Pope Francis Room. Sessions are open to all. No need to RSVP - simply come. If you have any questions contact: Fr Dan Joyce SJ, email@example.com
- PRAY (online) Jesuit Lenten Lenten program: Igniting Our Values, A Jesuit/Ignatian Pilgrimage for Lent: February 18th - April 5th. The 2015 Lenten program provides a digital prayer experience composed of daily reflections with carefully selected music, video, art and poetry. www.jesuits.org/ignite
- PRAY (online) Busted Halo: Follow along with a daily calendar of reflections and actions for FAST-PRAY-GIVE http://bustedhalo.com/features/fast-pray-give-2015
- FAST from the busyness of life. Take a break every Tuesday and Thursday (12-1:30pm) during Lent to gather with fellow SJU students to share a simple meal (provided by campus ministry) and to take some time for prayer and reflection. We don't always need to be running around--eating and praying on the go. #LentenLunches is a great way to find that "pause". Come for one or all of the gatherings! We will be using the "Igniting our Values" Jesuit Lenten resource for reflection....sign-up to receive their daily reflections at www.jesuits.org/ignite
- FAST from a weekend here on campus! Consider spending a weekend away with other SJU students reflecting on your life and your relationships. The spring 4:16 retreat will take place the weekend after Easter,April 10-12, 2015. Make signing up for the 4:16 retreat part of your Lenten commitment to yourself! Sign up at www.sju.edu/4-16retreat
- FAST Throughout Lent, the Catholic Relief Services Student Ambassadors will have a Lenten simple meal on Fridays starting on February 20th at 4:30 pm in Wolfington Hall. – We invite you to a Lenten Simple Meal from Tanzania. All are welcome to come share a simple meal and live Lent as we join in solidarity with the poor around the world. RSVP, questions and/or if you would like simple meal recipes from around the world for Lent, please contact Gregory Torres at firstname.lastname@example.org
- GIVE yourself the gift to reflect on your life. Lent is about turning our hearts and our lives back towards God – what kind of life are you living? What gives your life meaning? Join us to watch Finding Joe and to reflect – “We must be willing to get rid of the life we’ve planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us”. Tuesday, March 3rd at 6:30 PM in Wolfington.
- GIVE yourself the gift of healthy relationships. 1 in 3 women as well as 1 in 4 men suffer from relationship/dating violence. Learn about the warning signs and what you can do to help yourself and others. Join us for the video ESCALATION and a reflection afterwards. All are welcome. February 26th at 7 PM in Wolfington.
- GIVE your mind a new way to think about justice in the world. "If they kill me, I shall rise in the people." -Oscar Romero. The Romero Center lecture this year will take place at Rutgers University in Camden onFriday March 20th at 7:00pm. Come learn about "Rising in the people: Encounter, Engage, Create! The Latino/a moral imagination as Resource for Social Justice." It will challenge your heart and your mind and hopefully encourage you to enact justice in the world!
- GIVE yourself retreat! Are you interested in deepening your spirituality but don't have time to go away for a weekend? Then this event is for you! The Retreat in Everyday Life will take place Sunday, Feb. 22nd -Wednesday, Feb. 25th. On Sunday, we will gather in Wolfington after the 7 pm Mass to have a Meet and Greet with the sisters who will be leading the retreat. On Monday - Wednesday you will commit to a half an hour of prayer on your own and a half an hour of meeting with one of the sisters. We will have a brief closing session on Wednesday evening. If interested, you can sign up in the back of church or contact Kristin Williams at email@example.com.