Preparing for the Interview
1-2 weeks in advance
- Collect and review your research on the organization and carefully review the position description.
- Think about your resume and your history in relation to the organization and the position so that you can clearly communicate your experiences, skills, and accomplishments with ease.
- Confirm the time, date, and location of the interview.
- Confirm the title and correct spelling and pronunciation of the interviewer's name.
- Obtain directions, and allow plenty of time to get there.
- Be prepared to discuss anything on your resume.
- Prepare for the different interviewing styles and situations that you may encounter.
- Review telephone interviewing tips for initial or screening interviews.
- Review sample interview questions and sample behavioral interview questions.
- Prepare a list of questions to ask the interviewer.
- PRACTICE! Log in to your SJUCareers account and select Interview Stream, our virtual interview program. You can customize, record, and share your interview to receive feedback.
- Call the Career Development Center at 610-660-3100 to make an appointment for a mock interview. When making the appointment, be as specific as possible in describing the organization, industry, or field for which you’re interviewing. Your career counselor will use this information to tailor the questions he or she asks you to your goals. After the mock interview, your career counselor will provide you with tips and feedback on how to improve your interview skills so that you are ready for the real thing!