Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) offers a safe atmosphere where personal concerns can be openly explored and discussed with a professionally trained counselor or psychologist. Counseling services are voluntary, confidential and free-of-charge. All staff members are trained professionals in psychology and substance abuse.
Individual counseling is usually done by appointment except in emergencies. With rare exception, individual counseling sessions last 45 minutes.
Members of the SJU community can and do seek individual counseling to:
- increase self-confidence
- become more assertive
- overcome loneliness
- deal with problems involving drug or alcohol use/abuse
- control test anxiety
- develop more satisfying relationships
- change unhealthy eating habits
- overcome feelings of depression and/or anxiety
- cope more effectively with stress
- deal with the loss/death of a loved one
- work through a decision
- gain insight into a conflict
- come to terms with a traumatic experience