If you choose to report an instance of sexual misconduct and are interested in participating in the SJU Campus process as well as the Criminal processes, initiated by police, please see the details below for further information.
Reporting to law enforcement does not preclude making a report on-campus, nor does making a report on-campus preclude making a report to law enforcement. The Campus and Criminal processes described below will occur independently of each other, but may occur simultaneously.
- Report the misconduct by contacting one of the following offices:
- Public Safety at 610-660-1111 (Public Safety can assist in contacting Police 24/7)
- Office of Residence Life (610-660-1060 or via Public Safety at 610-660-1111 evenings/weekends/after hours)
- Title IX Coordinator, Dr. Mary-Elaine Perry or a Deputy Title IX Coordinator
- Any Responsible Employee as defined by SJU policy.
- Resources for support as well as any immediate needs (medical, safety other interim measures) will be offered and discussed.
- SJU will initiate a campus investigation. Please be aware that in some cases, SJU may also need to notify local police.
- SJU “contact”, “area” or “campus” restrictions or other interim measures may be issued to those involved through the University, in an effort to ensure the safety of all involved.
- The campus investigation and disciplinary process will be explained by the Office of Community Standards.
- You will be notified of the outcome of the campus investigation and disciplinary process, regardless of your level of participation.
- Contact local police to report the assault - dial 911 OR, if the Complainant so desires, the Office of Public Safety & Security will assist him/her in contacting the local police.
- You can request a Protection from Abuse Order (PFA) through Philadelphia or Montgomery Counties. Assistance with this may be available through Police, SJU Public Safety or the SJU Office of Student Outreach & Support.
- An investigation is conducted by the local police with possible assistance from SJU.
- The completed investigation report is forwarded to the appropriate District Attorney’s Office for possible prosecution.
- Prosecution occurs in criminal court.