Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Certification (K-12)
The teacher of the deaf and hard of hearing (K-12) certification is a nine-course (30-credit) concentration that prepares educators for certification and to acquire the competencies specifically needed to support learning and development in children with hearing loss. It is the first fully online deaf education program in the state of Pennsylvania and one of only a few similar online programs in the nation.
The certification may be combined with a Master of Science in Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing or Special Education, or completed as a stand-alone certification. This program is ideally suited for individuals who have earned at least initial certification (Level 1) or have equivalent education and experience working with deaf and hard of hearing students including:
- Special education teachers seeking an additional certification
- General education teachers with an interest in becoming a teacher of students who are deaf and hard of hearing
- General education teachers with deaf or hard of hearing students in their classrooms
- Bachelor’s level professionals or paraprofessionals who are seeking initial certification and certification as a teacher of students who are deaf and hard of hearing *
- Related service personnel (e.g. Speech/Language Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, Physical Therapists) who wish to become teachers of students who are deaf and hard of hearing *
- Sign Language interpreters who wish to become teachers of students who are deaf and hard of hearing *
* These individuals’ credentials will be individually evaluated and additional pedagogy coursework may be required.