Brian M. Forster, Ph.D.
Lab Coordinator, General Education Program (GEP) Natural Sciences
Office: 112 Connelly Hall
Lab: 130, 220, 230 Connelly
- B.S. Biological Sciences (Cell/Molecular), State University of New York at Binghamton (2006)
- Ph.D. Microbiology, Cornell University (2011)
- Consultant/Math Instructor (2004-2008), Tottenville High School After-School/Saturday Academy, Staten Island, NY.
- Laboratory Coordinator, GEP Natural Sciences (2011-Present), Saint Joseph's University, Philadelphia, PA.
- BIO 160: Heredity & Evolution Lecture
- BIO 165: Exploring the Living World Lecture
- BIO 165L: Exploring the Living World Laboratory
- BIO 270/L: Microbiology (Nursing/Allied Health) Lecture & Lab
- BIO 550: Research Techniques (guest lecture)
- ENV 106L: Exploring the Earth Laboratory
- Senior Author: OpenStax's Microbiology
- Pedagogical Publications (PubMed)
- Pedagogical Publications (Association for Biology Laboratory Education -ABLE)
- MicrobeLibrary Publications (Microbelibrary is a peer-reviewed database free for microbiology instructors to find curriculum materials.)
- Research Publications on Listeria monocytogenes (PubMed)
Grants and Awards
- 2017 Faculty Merit Award for Teaching Recipient
- 2014 #topprofsju Award Winner
- Ramirez, J., C. Arango Pinedo and B.M. Forster. 2016. Exemplary Contribution to the Curriculum Section of the Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education. Spotlighted at the American Society of Microbiology’s Conference on Undergraduate Education (ASMCUE).
- King Smith, C., B.M. Forster, C. Fritz. 2014. Bringing Cell Biology to High School Students. The American Society for Cell Biology.
- Forster, B.M. 2014. Development of a collaborative-based laboratory exercise investigating bacterial load in water samples. Association for Biology Laboratory Education (ABLE) Learning and Teaching Innovation Grant.
- Li, E., B.M. Forster, C. Fritz, M. Jurkiewicz. 2013. Genes, Mutations, and Diseases: understanding the origins of genetic disorders through experimental learning. American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
- Forster, B.M. 2013. Integration of laboratory video tutorials and webcams for students completing their GEP Natural Sciences requirement through a laboratory-based class. Saint Joseph’s University Technology Innovation Grant.