Chris Heasley, Ed.D.
Dr. Chris Heasley is an Assistant Professor in Educational Leadership at Saint Joseph’s University. Prior to his full-time role as a faculty member, Dr. Heasley spent more than eighteen years in higher education administration in student housing, auxiliary services, student affairs, Greek life, and student orientation. In his last full-time administrative position, he was Executive Director of University Housing at Drexel University. He also has more than six years teaching experience in several disciplines and is published in the field of scholarly work. Dr. Heasley’s research focus is in higher education, with a concentration on the impact of environmental settings on sense of community, student success outcomes, and minoritized student populations. He has published in Journal for Online Learning, Learning to Give, ACUHO-I Talking Stick, and Scholar-Practitioner Quarterly. His most recent publication titled, Completing the cycle: What factors should campus housing leaders consider as they strive to prove the link between hall design and student success, received the 2016 ACUHO-I Robert Cooke Talking Stick Article of the Year Award.
Dr. Heasley received his his BA in Graphic Design from the University of Texas at Arlington, his MS in Higher Education Administration from Indiana University - Bloomington, IN, and his Doctorate in Education in 2013 from Saint Joseph's University. His dissertation titled, "Students Sense of Community Based on Expereinces with Residence Hall Design" was nominated for the Nicholas Rashford Award.
- EDU 231 Assessment and Evaluation
- EDL 600 Educational Leaders as Researcher and Reflective Practitioner
- EDL 660 Measurement and Evaluation
- EDL 665 Administration Planned Change
- EDL 670 Human Resource Development
- EDL 810 Quantitative Research Design
- EDL 845 Policy and School Law (Higher Education/Non-Profit)
- EDL 850 Education Environments (Higher Education/Non-Profit)
- EDL 855 Human Resource Management (Higher Education/Non-Profit)
- EDL 860 Educational Planning and Evaluation (Higher Education/Non-Profit)
- DSS 600 Introduction to Business Intelligence (MBA)
- DSS 582 Research Skills (EMBA)
- DSS 584 Business Intelligence (EMBA)
- DSS 585 Business Intelligence Tools and Concepts (EMBA)
Journal Articles (Referred)
Terosky, A. L., & Heasley, C. L. (June 2015). Supporting online faculty through a sense of community and collegiality. Journal for Online Learning - (formerly The Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks), 19(3), 145-161.
Heasley, C. L. (Fall 2012). Dewey’s curriculum model for education and traditional curriculum models: Differences and implications of these curriculum models for our educational systems and democracy in our society. Scholar-Practitioner Quarterly, 6(3), 264-275.
Journal Articles (Editorial Reviewed)
Heasley, C., Lengowski, F., Haapala, K., & Dunkel, N. (Fall 2015). Completing the cycle: What factors should campus housing leaders consider as they strive to prove the link between hall design and student success? ACUHO-I Talking Stick. Columbus, OH. Bob P. Cooke Talking Stick Article of the Year Award Recipient.
Heasley, C. L. (Fall 2011). Taming the multi-headed beast: Optimized occupancy management means you’ll find a place for everything (um, everyone) and for everything (sorry…everyone) a place. ACUHO-I Talking Stick. Columbus, OH.
Heasley, C. L. (2002). Phoebe Hearst. Learning To Give. Retrieved from: http://learningtogive.org/papers/paper102.html
Grants and Awards
- Recipient of ACUHO-I Research Grant (2018-2019)
- Recipient of ACUHO-I Research Grant (2016-2017)
- Received Bob P. Cooke Talking Stick Article of the Year Award (2016) for the article, Completing the Cycle: What Factors Should Campus Housing Leaders Consider as They Strive to Prove the Link Between Hall Design and Student Success? ACUHO-I Talking Stick. Columbus, OH.
- Nominated for Drexel University President’s Diversity and Inclusion Award (2016)
- Recipient of Drexel University President’s Award (2014)
- Nominated for Nicholas Rashford Award for Dissertation of the Year (2013)
- Named Faculty Advisor of the Year 2007, 2013, Saint Joseph’s University
- Member of the following notable academic societies: Alpha Epsilon Lambda National Honor Society (inducted 2013); National Golden Key Honor Society (inducted 1996); Omicron Delta Kappa (inducted 1997); Order of Omega (inducted 1997)