John C. Yi, Ph.D.
Office: 342A Mandeville Hall
Phone: (610) 660-2238
Fax: (610) 660-1229
Dr. Yi has over 10 years of industry experience from Sanofi-Aventis, Johnson & Johnson, and GEC. For a significant part of that, he has driven complex analytical projects involving sales and marketing resource optimization, new and in-line sales forecasting, multi-level strategic decision planning, sales operations optimization, marketing mix optimization, and manufacturing process improvement.
- Ph.D. University of Pennsylvania, 2001
- M.S. University of California at Berkeley, 1994
- B.S. Rutgers University, 1993
- The Art of Decision Making
- Business Statistics
- Business Analytics
- Sales Forecasting
- Predictive Analytics
- Physician Prescribing Behavior Study to Improve Sales Operations in New Prescription Drug Launch (2015), Journal of Supply Chain and Operations Management, Vol 13, Issue 1, pp 1-11. (with E. Rhee)
- Markdown optimization at multiple stores (2015), IIE Transactions, Vol. 47, Issue 1, pp 84-108. (with M. Chen, Z.L. Chen, G. Pundoor, S. Acharya)
- An analysis of the use of predictive modeling with business intelligence systems for exploration of precious metals using biogeochemical data (2013), International Journal of Business Intelligence Research, Vol. 4, Issue 2, pp 39-53. (with T. Woolman)
- Predictive analytics for students’ classroom performance and its impact on classroom operations (2012), Journal of Supply Chain and Operations Management, Vol. 10, Issue 2, pp 65-75.
- Analyzing the effectiveness of pharmaceutical marketing using business intelligence methods (2012), International Journal of Business Intelligence Research, Vol. 3, Issue 3, pp 1-15. (with E. Ricks)
- An exploratory study to improve sales operations when selling multiple prescription drugs (2011), California Journal of Operations Management, Vol. 9, Issue 1, pp 43-57. (with M. Zhou, T. Park)
- Utilizing Business Intelligence in College Admissions: A Strategic Approach (2011), International Journal of Business Intelligence Research, Vol. 2, Issue 1, pp 1-15. (with D. Amburgey)
- Knowledge-based approach to improving detailing plan in multiple product situations using PDE weights (2011), Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 38, pp 3835-3843.
- Business plus Intelligence plus Technology equals Business Intelligence (2010), International Journal of Business Intelligence Research, Vol. 1, Issue 1, pp 41-53. (with I. Yermish, V. Miori, R. Malhotra, R. Klimberg)
- Cultural influences on young adult consumers’ attraction to media personalities: An examination of Americans and Koreans (2009), Journal of Global Business Issue, Vol. 3, Issue 1, pp 33-39. (with T. Louie)
- Commonalities and differences between service and manufacturing supply chains: Combining operations management studies with supply chain management (2009), California Journal of Operations Management, Vol. 7, Issue 1, pp 45-57. (with M. Zhou, T. Park)
- Knowledge-based approach to improving micromarketing decisions in a data-challenged environment (2008), Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 35, Issue 3, pp 1379-1385.
- An expert system to carryover effect derivation for pharmaceutical sales detailing optimization (2008), Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 34, Issue 3, pp 1742-1753.
- An exploration study of leveraging domain knowledge to enhance sales operations in a data-challenged environment (2008), California Journal of Operations Management, Vol. 6, Issue 1, pp 8-15.
- An expert system to physician-detailing planning (2003), Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 25, Issue 4, pp 533-544. (with G. Anandalingam, L. Sorrell)
Grants and Awards
- International Conference of Supply Chain & Technology Innovation Distinguished Paper Award, 2014
- Saint Joseph’s University Michael J. Morris Grant for Faculty Research, 2012
- Faculty Induction into Alpha Iota Delta, the International Honor Society of Decision Sciences and Information Systems, 2012
- Saint Joseph’s University Faculty Merit Award in Research Excellence, 2010
- Saint Joseph’s University Summer Research Grant, 2009 & 2010
Dr. Yi’s research interests are in providing solutions to complex pharmaceutical and healthcare-focused business problems leveraging various advanced analytical methods including operations research, data mining, predictive analytics, and knowledge management