Sangcheol Song, Ph.D.
Office: Mandeville 377
Phone: (610) 660-2241
- Cultural Diversity and International business (undergraduate)
- Introduction to International Business (undergraduate)
- International Management (undergraduate)
- Managing Foreign Direct Investment (Undergraduate)
- Business Policy (Undergraduate, capstone)
- International Management (MBA, online)
- Global Business Strategy (MBA, capstone)
- Managing International Strategic Alliances (MBA, online)
Social Science Citation Index (SSCI) Articles
- Host country uncertainty, intra-MNC production shifts, and subsidiary performance.2012. Strategic Management Journal, 33(11): 1331-1340.(with Lee S-H)
- Cultural differences, the MNE's learning ability, and the effect of experience on subsidiary mortality in a dissimilar culture: Evidence from Korean MNEs. 2013. Journal of International Business Studies, 2013, 44(1): 41-65.(with Zeng Y, Shenkar O, Lee S-H)
- FDI experience and subsidiary mortality: Differences in national culture and the expansion of Korean MNEs. 2013. Management International Review, 53(3): 477-509.(with Zeng Y, Shenkar O, Lee S-H)
- FDI structure, investment specificity, and multinational flexibility value under market uncertainty. 2013. Management International Review , 53(6): 795-817.
- Governments, entrepreneurs, and positive externalities: A real options perspective. 2013. European Management Journal, 31: 333-347.(with Lee S-H, Peng MW)
- Investment irreversibility and longevity of MNC foreign subsidiaries: The moderating effect of host market uncertainty. 2014. Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 31(2): 455-471
- Foreign subsidiary divestment: The role of multinational flexibility. 2014. Management International Review, 54(1): 47-70.
- Unfavorable market conditions, Institutional and financial development, and exits of small foreign subsidiaries. 2014. Journal of International Management, 203: 279-289.
- Within-country growth options vs. Across-country switching options in foreign direct investments. 2014. Global Strategy Journal, 4: 127-142.(with Makhija M, Lee S-H)
- Inter-country exchange rates and intra-firm trade flows within global network of multinational corporations.2015. Management International Review, 55(1): 1-22.
- Exchange Rate Challenges, flexible Intra-firm adjustment and subsidiary longevity. 2015. Journal of World Business, 50(3): 548-558.
Social corporate responsibility in international business: Illustrations from Korean and Japanese electronics MNEs in Indonesia. 2015 Journal of Business Ethics, 129(3): 747-761. (with Park YR, Choe S, Baik Y.)
Operational hedging in foreign direct investment under volatile and divergent exchange rates across countries. 2015. Journal of World Business, 50(3): 548-558.(with Lee S-H, Makhija M.)
- International investments under uncertainty: Contributions of real options theory and future directions. 2015. Journal of Management & Organization, 21(6): 786-811. (with Makhija M, Kim S-M.)
- Ownership increase in international joint ventures: The Within- and Across-country flexibility perspective. 2017. Management International Review, 57(1): 93-120.
- Host market uncertainty, subsidiary characteristics, and growth options exercise. 2017. Long Range Planning, 50(1): 63-73.
- The hysteresis effects of relationships with headquarters on longevity of foreign subsidiaries. 2017. Management International Review. 57(4), 545-570.(with Lee J-Y.)
- Determinants of corporate international expansion beyond the home region: An empirical examination of U.S. MNEs' expansion to Europe and Asia-Pacific. 2017. Global Strategy Journal,7(4), 400-426.(with Mauri A, Neiva J.)
- How outside directors' human and social capital creates value for corporate international investments. 2019. Journal of World Business, 54(2): 93-106. (with Lai J-H, Chen L-Y)
Best Paper Proceedings
- Song S. 2007. Two contradictory effects of prior experience on early exits of partially-owned firms. Best paper proceedings, Hayes graduate research forum, The Ohio State University.
- Song S, Makhija M, Lee S., 2008. Growth and switching options in foreign direct investment. Best Paper Proceedings: The Academy of Management, Anneheim, USA
- Zeng Y, Shenkar O, Song S, Lee S. 2009. Cultural differences, location of prior FDI experience and survival of subsequent projects: The case of Korean MNEs. Best Paper Proceedings: The Academy of International Business, San Diego, USA.
- Song S. 2014. Value and cost of multinationality: Comparing international diversification and real options effects. Outstanding research paper Proceedings: Global Conference on Business and Finance Research, Hawaii, USA.
Grants and Awards
- Samsung Distinguished Paper Award, The Academy of Management (2008)
- SSK Research fund, The Sustainability of Korean Management in the Global Market: Competitiveness and CSR, The National Research Foundation of Korea (2012~2018)
- Summer Research Grant, Saint Joseph's University (2013)
- Referred Article Award, HAUB School of Business, Saint Joseph's University (2013~)
- Faculty Research Merit Award, Saint Joseph's University (2013)
- Outstanding Research Award. Global Conference on Business and Finance Research (2014)
- Teaching Innovation Award, Middle Atlantic Association of Colleges of Business Administration (MAACBA) (2014)
- Michael J. Morris Grant for Scholarly Research, Saint Joseph's University (2015)
- Best Reviewer Award, Yonsei Business Review (2016)
- Distinguished professorship Research Grant, Chongqing Technology & Business University (2018~)
- Strategic and operational flexibility under uncertainty
- Real options, hysteresis effect, escalating commitment
- Experience, culture, and organizational Learning
- Market entry and exit strategies
- Dynamics in strategic alliances and joint ventures
- Corporate social responsibility and sustainability in international business realm
- Teaching pedagogies in strategy and international business education