Social, Emotional and Behavioral Wellness Endorsement
Social and emotional (SEL) learning is the process by which children and adults acquire the skills necessary for managing emotions, showing empathy, establishing and maintaining positive relationships, making responsible decisions, and setting and achieving positive goals. These skills must be practiced in social contexts, including classroom and school environments. Many children and youth struggle with these skills, particularly if they have experienced trauma or emotional crisis and few teachers have had formal training to help them.
The Saint Joseph's 100% online Social, Emotional and Behavioral Wellness of PK-12 Students Endorsement will give you the formal training to help children develop social, emotional, and behavioral wellness.
The Social, Emotional and Behavioral Wellness of PK-12 Students Endorsement focuses on the following competencies:
- Social and Emotional (SEL) Learning
- Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs), Trauma, and Mental Illness in PK-12 Students
- Mental Health Literacy
- Prevention and Intervention across PK-12 Educational Environments
- Collaboration with Families, Agencies, and the Community
This endorsement is achieved through 12-credits of graduate coursework and related field experiences including:
- Mental Health Literacy (5 field hours embedded)
- Theory and Instructional Practice: Students with Emotional/Social and Behavioral Disorders (20 field hours embedded)
- Families, Schools, Agencies, and Communities: Communication and Collaboration (15 field hours embedded)
- Supporting Social, Emotional, and Behavioral Wellness – Field-Based Experiences (40 field hours embedded)
The Social, Emotional and Behavioral Wellness of PK-12 Students Endorsement can be taken as a part of the Master’s of Science in Special Education, or as a stand-alone course of study. Act 48 credits will be offered for these courses.
Financial Aid Available
Need help paying for your degree? This certificate have been approved for federal financial aid and Saint Joseph's financial aid office can work with you to put together a plan.