Emily Hage, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Chair
Professor Hage specializes in 20th-century European and American art with an emphasis on magazines. She has published on Dada art journals and Dadazines and punk zines from the 1970s, and her recent article in Art Journal analyzes Romare Bearden’s 1968 covers for Time and Fortune magazines. Her current book projects are Dada Magazines: The Making of a Movement and The Art of Fortune Magazine: 1930-1970.
- University of Pennsylvania, Ph.D., History of Art
- University of Maryland, College Park, MD, M.A., Art History and Archaeology
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., Philosophy (Philosophy, Politics, and Economics)
- Dada Magazines: The Making of a Movement (London: Bloomsbury Academic Press, 2020).
- The Art of Fortune Magazine: 1930-1970
- “Bay Area Dadazines and Punk Zines in 1970s San Francisco: Interactive, Ephemeral, Live,” American Periodicals vol. 27, no. 2 (2017), 180-205.
- “Mise-en-page to mise en scène: Intersecting Display Strategies in Dada Art Journals and Exhibitions,” Dada/Surrealism, vol. 21 (2017).
- “Reconfiguring Race, Re-contextualizing the Media: Romare Bearden’s 1968 Fortune and Time Covers,” Art Journal 75, no. 3 (Fall 2016), 36-51.
- “A ‘Living Magazine:’ Hugo Ball’s Cabaret Voltaire” Germanic Review 91, no. 2 (fall 2016): 395-414.
- “Dissemination: the Dada and Surrealist Journals,” A Companion to Dada and Surrealism, ed. David Hopkins (Chichester, West Sussex, Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell, 2016), 199-210.
- “A ‘Democratic’ Medium: František Kupka’s Call for Social Change in the Money Issue of L'Assiette au Beurre,” Art and Social Change: Essays on the Collection of La Salle University Art Museum, ed. Susan Dixon and Klare Scarborough (Philadelphia: La Salle University, 2016), 93-105.
- “Live on the Page: Bay Area Dadazines and Punk Zines,” The Territories of Artists’ Periodicals, ed. Marie Boivent and Stephen Perkins (Green Bay, WI and Rennes, France: Plagiarist Press and Éditions Provisoires, 2015), 80-87.
- “The Magazine as Readymade: New York Dada and the Transgression of Genre and Gender Boundaries,” The Journal of Modern Periodical Studies, vol. 3, no. 2 (December 2012): 175-197.
- “Transnational Exchange, Recontextualization, and Identity in Dada Art Journals,” English Language Notes, vol. 49, no. 1 (August 2011): 63-76.
- “The Magazine as Strategy: Tristan Tzara’s Dada and the Seminal Role of Dada Art Journals in the Dada Movement,” The Journal of Modern Periodical Studies, vol. 2, no. 1 (Spring/Summer 2011): 33-53.
- Scholarly entries (seven, and two translations), The Dada Reader: A Critical Anthology, ed. Dawn Ades (Chicago: University of Chicago Press and Tate Publishing, 2006).
- Scholarly entries (ten), Dada, ed. Laurent Le Bon (Paris: Editions du Centre Pompidou, 2005).
- Faculty Merit Award for Teaching for "extraordinary achievement in teaching" (3/2017)
- Summer Research Grant, Saint Joseph’s University (5-8/2017)
- Michael J. Morris Grant for Scholarly Research, Saint Joseph’s University (8/2013-5/2014)
- Ignatian Pedagogy Seminar Grant, Saint Joseph’s University (5-6/2013)
- Curriculum Development Grant, Saint Joseph’s University (5-8/2010)
- Mellon Regional Faculty Fellowship, Penn Humanities Forum, U. of Pennsylvania (8/2009-5/2010)
- Andrew W. Mellon Curatorial Fellowship (5/2005-7/2007)
- Summer Research Grant, Saint Joseph’s University (5-8/2009)
- Dissertation Fellowship in American Art, ACLS, Terra Foundation (7/2004-5/2005)
- Bourse Chateaubriand, Ambassade de France aux Etats-Unis (declined) (9/2003-5/2004)
- School of Arts and Sciences Fellowship, U. of Pennsylvania (9/2003-6/2004)
- Getty Library Research Grant, Getty Research Institute (8-9/2003)
- Penfield Scholarship, U. of Pennsylvania (10/2002-4/2003)