Kathleen Campbell Garwood, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Decision and System Sciences
Dr. Garwood has taught a variety of Business Intelligence and Analytics courses in the Decision and System Sciences department for more than 14 years. With a PhD in Statistics, she was elevated to assistant professor in fall 2014 and has taught various undergraduate and graduate courses in basic and advanced topics in analytics. Her research interests include rank ordered statistical comparisons, sustainability rankings, forecasting, modeling and data visualization. Her passion is providing analytics and statistical consulting for social justice projects. Some interesting projects include a collaboration with the United Nations culminating in data visualization and integration of reported data to identify trends and strengths of Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME) schools. Within the classroom and in research, she works to provide educational analysis for underserved students in the Fe y Alegría School System. This work has helped the school to identify the most in need students in an effort to give them mechanical job training prior to graduation school. She is the inaugural faculty lead of the St. Joseph’s Tableau Users Group (SJU TUG), which allows a network of alumni to visit campus monthly and help current students advance their data visualization skills using Tableau. This has helped University students obtain marketable skills that have helped the student start their careers in highly sought after positions, while creating a fantastic network among undergraduates, graduates, and alumni. She provides statistical consulting for various sources and enjoys volunteer activities that enhance the students' educational experience and tries to live and encourage the concept of magis.
- Temple University, Philadelphia, Pa, Ph. D. Statistics, August 2014
- Villanova University, Villanova, PA, M.S. Applied Statistics, 2004
- Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, B.S. General Business, 2000
Academic Positions and Experience
- Saint Joseph's University, Instructor (September 2004 − Present)
- Villanova University, Instructor (January 2005 - September 2006)
- Strayer University, Instructor (September 2004 - September 2006)
- Monsignor Bonner High School, Teacher (September 1999 - January 2005)
Nonacademic Positions and Experience
- Statistical Consultant for Innsightinc working to help with set up and analysis of retina scanner/sensor. Summer 2016 – present.
- Statistical Consulting & Entrepreneurialism Colonial Electric & Bright Lights, Statistical Consultant, Summers 2007, 2009, 2010
- Analysis and Inference Inc., Junior Statistical Analyst, Summer 2008,
- Manager / Co-Owner, Jake's Water Ice (June, 2000 - 2014). Open May – September
- 2020: Ignatian Paradigm for Business Education grant recipient. Created a case study called Aggregating, Analyzing, and Visualizing Student Survey Data to Improve Targeted Local Support: A Data Teaching Case following the Inspirational Paradigm for Jesuit Business Education.
- 2019 Mid-Atlantic Association of Colleges of Business Administration (MAACBA), recipient of the Innovation in Teaching Award.
- 2018-2019: Balduccini, M. Co Principal Investigator for grant: “A Study of Hybrid Discrete-Continuous-Probabilistic Modeling Techniques for Trustworthiness in Cyber-Physical Systems”
- 2017-2018: Labriola, MD, L. Technical Plan SBIF NSF, Collaborator.
- 2015-2016: Campbell, K. T. Morris Grant for Scholarly Research, Principal Investigator.
- 2015 2nd place – Best Dissertation Award
- 2000: Academic Enrichment Program Award. This grant allowed Monsignor Bonner High School the opportunity to put computers in the English and Science classrooms. High School. Grant :$200,000
- 2001: Federal Government Mathematics Grant. Created and gave a formal presentation that helped Monsignor Bonner High School, Archbishop Prendergast and Upper Darby High School achieve a grant to fund technology in the classroom. Grant: $250,000. Once the classrooms were up and running, was the responsible for training the rest of the faculty and maintaining the classroom as a model for future grants and funds from 2001-2005.
- Awarded the Most Outstanding Graduating Female of Lebow College of Business, Drexel University Class of 2000.
- 2007 Saint Joseph’s University Teaching Award recipient (Nominated by students and fellow teachers).
- Nguyen, T., Tran Cao, S., Bundas, M., Balduccini, M., Campbell Garwood, K., Griffor, E. (2021). Reasoning About Trustworthiness in Cyber-Physical Systems Using Ontology-Based Representation and ASP (February, 2021) DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-69322-0_4
- In book: PRIMA 2020: Principles and Practice of Multi-Agent Systems, 23rd International Conference, Nagoya, Japan, November 18–20, 2020, Proceedings
Project: Cyber-Physical System
- “Ignatian Pedagogy in the Quantitative Business Courses: Using Experience and Reflection to Enrich Learning in Data Mining.” Journal of Jesuit Business Education. (2019). Garwood, K. C. & Neiva de Figueiredo, J.
- “Mining for Fitness: Analytical Models that Fit You so You Can Be Fit.” Contemporary Perspectives in Data Mining. (2019). Asterino, W.& Garwood, K.
- “Automated Segmentation Measurements of the Outer Nuclear Layer in Determining Cases of Hydroxychloroquine Toxicity: A Retrospective Study.” Journal of Vitreo Retinal Diseases. (2019). Jain, A., Livnat, I., Tsipursky, M., Almasov, A., Garwood, K.
- “Using The Business Classroom To Help Fe Y Alegira-Bolivia Schools With Analytics And Pattern Visualization.” Journal of Management for Global Sustainability. Garwood, K. C., Neiva de Figueiredo, J., Miles, H. and Barrientos, M. A. (2018)
- “A comparison of cluster algorithms as applied to unsupervised surveys.” International Journal of Business Intelligence and Data Mining. Garwood, K.C., Dhobale, A. (2018)
- “Innovations to identifying the effects of clear information visualization: reducing managers time in data interpretation”. Journal of Visual Literacy. Garwood, K. C., Jones, C, Clements, N. & Miori, V. (2017)
- “Forecasting Treatment outcomes for the Future Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation Center.” Advances in Business and Management Forecasting. Miori, V. V., Garwood, K. C., & Cardamone, C. (2017).
- “Measuring Agreement Among Ranks: Sustainability an Application.” International Journal of Business Intelligence Research, 7 (1). Garwood, K. C. & Graziosi, A. S. (2016)
- “A Frontier Analysis Approach to Analyze the Operating Efficiencies of Cable and Satellite Companies in the United States.” Applications of Management Science. Malhotra, R., Malhotra, D. K., & Campbell, K. T. (2015)
- “Optimizing Resources to Better Forecast Future Profits.” Advances in Business and Management Forecasting. Campbell, K. T., Strandberg, A. G., & Clements, N. (in press, 2015).
- “Online teaching best practices to better engage students with quantitative material.” Journal of instructional Pedagogies. Strandberg, A. & Campbell, K. T. (2014).
- “Evaluating the Performance of Home Building Companies in the United States”, International Journal of Strategic Management, 2014, Malhotra, R., Campbell, K. T., and Malhotra, D. K., available online at the EBSCO Publishing in the Business Complete Listing and at the Gale/ Cengage Publishing. The journal will soon be available with the SCOPUS.
- “Clustering Analyses to Understand Student Motivations and Ethical Approaches to Academic Ethics with Recommendations for Curricular Change,” Perspectives in Data Mining, Campbell, K. T., Miori, V. A., & Doyle, K. A. (in press, 2012)
- “The Most Sustainable Car,” Accounting and Business Research, 2012, Campbell, K. T. & Sherman, W. R., Volume 9, Number 10, pages 47 – 64, 2012.
- “Gender Differences In Academic Ethics With Recommendations For Curricular Change,” Journal of College Teaching & Learning, Volume 8, Number 3, March 2011.
- “Lists & More Lists: Making Sense of Corporate Reputations,” Journal of Business and Economics Research, Campbell, K. T. & Sherman, W. R., Volume 8, Number 7, 2010.
- A major selection Problem. Significance. Jones, C., Campbell, K. T., & Strandberg, A. G. (2016).
- Garwood, K. C., Steingard, D.,& Balduccini, M. (2020, March). Dynamic Collaborative Visualization of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs): Creating an SDG Dashboard for Reporting and Best Practices Sharing. International Conference of Information Visualization Theory and Applications, Valletta, Malta
- Garwood, K. C. (2019, August). Service learning in analytics courses: a case study of the benefits of teaching through helping others. Joint Statistical Meetings, Denver, Co.
- Sparacio, G., Garwood, K. C., & Balduccini, M. (2019, August). Visualizing a Cyber Physical System in Drill Down Perspectives. Joint Statistical Meetings, Denver, Co.
- Garwood, K. C. (2018, Seattle). Serving the poorest of the poor through targeted education: Using the business classroom to help Fe y Alegría-Bolivia schools with analytics and pattern visualization. IAJBS World Forum/CJBEAnnual Meetings.
- Garwood, K. C. (2016-2017, August). Benefits of Using Real Data Sets to Instruct Business Students in Data Mining Techniques. Joint Statistical Meetings, Baltimore, Maryland.
- Campbell, K. T., Neiva, J., Wolf, C., & Marca, M. (2016-2017, May). Identifying students in most need in low-income Bolivian high-schools through surveys: A data mining application. Annual Meeting of AERA, Phoenix, Arizona.
- Campbell, K. T., Clements, N., Jones, C., & Miori, V. (2015-2016, August). Identifying the Effects of Clear Visualization: Reduced Time to a Deeper Understanding of Data. Joint Statistical Meetings, Chicago, Illinois.
- Campbell, K. T. (2014-2015). Rank-Adapted Singular Value Decomposition. Joint Statistical Meetings, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Campbell, K. T. & Sherman, W. R. (2010-2011, September). The Most Sustainable Car. Academy of Business Research, Atlantic City, New Jersey.
Presentation of Non-Refereed Papers
- Garwood, K. C. (2017-2018, October). Advancing Undergraduate Analytics with Visualization. Middle Atlantic Association of Colleges of Business Administration, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Refereed Book Chapters
- Miori, V., Clements, N. & Garwood. Building a Ranked Data Analytics Program. Chapter in Teaching Data Analytics: Pedagogy and Program Design. Routledge.
- Campbell, K. T., Campagna, G., Costanzo, A., & Matthews, C. (2009). Inventory Optimization of Small Business Supply Chains with Stochastic Demand, In John Wyzalek (Ed.), The Supply Chain in Manufacturing, Distribution, and Transportation: Modeling, Optimization, and Applications. New York: CRC Press - Taylor Francis.
- Labriola, L., Vangipuram, G., Campbell Garwood, K., Besecker, J., Zernegar, A., Blinder, K. (2021) Use of Adjunctive Steroids with Anti-VEGF Agents in Treatment of Choroidal Neovascular Membrane Associated with Ocular Histoplasmosis. 54th Annual Retina Society Meeting.
- Nguyen, T., Tran Cao, S., Balduccini, M., Bundas, M., Garwood, K. T., Griffor, E. (2020). Reasoning About Trustworthiness in Cyber-Physical Systems Using Ontology-Based Representation and ASP. PRIMA 2020: Principles and Practice of Multi-Agent Systems, 23rd International Conference.
- Nguyen, T., Tran Cao, S., Bundas, M., Balduccini, M., Campbell Garwood, K., Griffor, E. (2021). Specifying and Reasoning about Concerns in Cyber-Physical System Using ASP. 17th International Conference on Principles of Knowledge Representation and Reasoning – KR – 2020.