Lora Packel, PT, M.S.P.T., PhD
Professor Chair, Department of Physical Therapy
Lora Packel, PT, M.S.P.T., PhD, is the chair of the Department of Physical Therapy. She has been in academia for 15 years full-time and was an adjunct in local PT programs prior to being hired at Saint Joseph's University. Her primary areas of teaching include Pathophysiology I, Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy, and Oncology Rehabilitation. Her research interests include health promotion and physical activity in those with cancer, in caregivers, and in those with chronic disease. Additional research interests include interprofessional education and the use of motivational interviewing to change health behaviors. Dr. Packel is also the vice-chair of the Early Assurance Consortium of the American Council of Academic Physical Therapy (ACAPT).
- Certification in Intensive Training in Motivational Interviewing, University of Massachusetts Medical School
- PhD in Health Services with a specialization in Community Health Promotion, Walden University
- B.A. in Biology, University of Delaware
- M.S. in Physical Therapy, Boston University
- Dr. Packel has been a physical therapist for 20 years. Her areas of expertise include cardiovascular and pulmonary physical therapy, cancer rehabilitation, and interprofessional education.
- Packel, L., Fang, C., Handorf, E., Rodoletz, M. (2017). "A 12-Week Exercise and Stress Management Pilot Program From Theory Through Implementation and Assessment." Rehabilitation Oncology 35(4), 172-80.
- Packel, L, Klusaritz, H, Kearney, M, Hadley, Pharm.D., BCACP, DE, Gibbs, V, Lloyd Doherty, C, Poon, C. (2018). "An Innovative Interprofessional Simulation: Preparing Students to Tackle the Challenge of Care Transitions." Health and Interprofessional Practice 3(3). Available at: https://doi.org/10.7710/2159-1253.1132
- Packel, L., et al. (2019). "Physical Activity Needs of Low-Income Cancer Patients and Caregivers." APTA Combined Sections Meeting Platform Presentation. Washington, D.C..
- Packel, L., Child, C., Lesser, M. (2019). "Care of the Cardiac Patient across the Continuum of Care." "Main Line Health System Physical, Occupational, and Speech Therapists Across the Health System." Hybrid continuing education course.
- Malone, D., Bishop, K. (2020). "Acute Care Physical Therapy: A Clinician’s Guide," second ed. Packel, L. and Malone, D. Chapter 2, "Laboratory Values" and Packel, L. Chapter 13, "Oncology Rehabilitation." Slack Publishing.
- Burgess, K., Bendul, K., Packel, L. (2020). "Mobile Apps for Exercise in Cancer Survivors: Alignment with ACSM Recommendations." APTA Combined Sections Meeting Platform Presentation. Denver, C.O.
- Cancer rehabilitation
- Exercise in the cancer survivor
- Cystic fibrosis
- Cancer related fatigue
- Cardiopulmonary rehabilitation
- Interprofessional education