Thomas Beeman, PhD, FACHE, FCPP, RADM, USN
Executive in Residence, Erivan K. Haub School of Business
Thomas Beeman '75, '77 (M.A.), PhD, FACHE, FCPP, RADM, USN (ret) is Executive in Residence for the Haub School of Business. With more than 45 years of experience in the healthcare industry, most recently serving as the chief executive officer of Lancaster General Health and president and chief executive officer at Saint Thomas Health Services in Nashville, Tennessee. In addition to Beeman’s impressive professional career, he served as a Rear Admiral in the United States Navy Reserve, ending his career as Assistant Deputy Surgeon General.
Vanderbilt University – PhD, Leadership and Policy, 2008
Widener University – Master of Business Administration, Hospital Administration, 1980
Saint Joseph’s University – Master of Arts, Health Education 1977
Saint Joseph’s University – Bachelor of Science, Community Health Studies, 1975
Selection of Professional Experience
- Executive in Residence, Saint Joseph’s University, 2019 - present
- Executive in Residence, Penn Medicine 2018 - 2019
- Chief Operating Officer, Regional Operations – Penn Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Health System – 2015 – 2018
- President and Chief Executive Officer – Lancaster General Health – 2005 - 2015
- President and Chief Executive Officer – Saint Thomas Health Services, Nashville, TN – 1999-2005
Selection of Military Experience
- Rear Admiral (U), Medical Service Corps, Assistant Deputy Surgeon General for Reserve Integration (retired 2016).
- U. S. Navy Deputy Commander of the Navy Medical National Capital Area.
- Deputy Commander for the National Intrepid Center of Excellence, National Naval Medical Center.
- Deputy Chief of Staff (RC) Wounded, Ill, and Injured – Navy, Medicine, BUMED, Washington, DC.
- Commanding Officer – Naval Reserve Operational Health Support Unit, San Diego, California.
Selection of Teaching Experience
- Adjunct Faculty, Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences – 2006 - present
- Adjunct Faculty, Vanderbilt University – 2002 - 2004
- LPO Program, Vanderbilt University – 2002 - 2004
- Adjunct Faculty, MBA, Saint Joseph’s University – 1984 - 1986
- Storey, V.A., Beeman, T.E. (ED), Preparing Physicians to Lead in the 21st Century. Hershey: IGI, 2018.
- Storey, V.A., Beeman, T.E., Bucher, J.R. Growing Our Own Philanthropic Champions. Lancaster: H&H Group, September 2016.
- Storey, V. A., Beeman, T. E., & Asadoorian, M. O. (2008), “Values in Hospital Leadership – A Case Study of a High Performing Health System” International Journal Behavioral and Healthcare Research, Vol 1, No 1. The Beacon, Pennsylvania School Study Council.
- Storey, V. A., & Beeman, T. E. (2006), The New DEEL: Conceptualizing in relation to students’ role as active agents in improving learning. Published paper, FATE Annual conference, Collaborative Partnerships: Making Connections to Enhance Teacher Quality and Student Learning.
- Storey, V. A., & Beeman, T. E. (2006), “The New DEEL: A Path Toward More Authentic Leadership” The Beacon, Pennsylvania School Study Council.
- Beta Gamma Sigma Honor Society
- George J. Beichl Award for Outstanding Military Service
- O’Hara Hall of Fame
- Widener MBA Hospital Administration Distinguished Alumni
- Legion of Merit (3)
- Meritorious Service Medal
- Navy Commendation Medals (2)
- Navy Achievement Medal.