June 10: Vaccination Requirement Details and Updated Mask Protocols
TO: SJU Community
FROM: Cary Anderson, Ed.D., Vice President of Student Life and Associate Provost; Zenobia Hargust, M.S., SPHR, Chief Human Resources Officer
RE: Vaccination Requirement Details and Updated Mask Protocols
DATE: June 10, 2021 at 3:30 P.M.
What You Need To Know:
- Saint Joseph’s will require all students, faculty and staff to provide verification of a COVID-19 vaccination prior to the fall 2021 semester.
- A high vaccination rate allows us all to more fully enjoy the benefits of an on-campus community experience and more confidently relax previous safety protocols.
- Vaccinated individuals will no longer be required to wear masks.
- Unvaccinated individuals will continue to be required to wear masks and participate in weekly surveillance testing.
- Those who are vaccinated may choose to wear a mask for their own personal comfort.
As announced by Dr. Reed, Saint Joseph’s will require all students, faculty and staff to provide verification of COVID-19 vaccination by August 16 in preparation for the fall 2021 semester. Vaccine availability has greatly increased and members of our community are encouraged to make appointments as soon as possible. If you are unable to obtain the vaccine in your current location, we will help you do so when you arrive in Philadelphia. Complete this form to submit your COVID-19 Vaccine Verification by August 16.
Beginning on July 6, community members will have the ability to request a health or religious exemption through the same link
- If you have a fully online schedule or telework agreement and do not plan to access any on-campus services, you may be exempt.
- International students will be connected with the Office of International Students and Scholars to discuss personal vaccination circumstances.
All community members should fill out the form, regardless of your personal circumstances. If you take no action by August 16, you will be entered into campus entry and weekly surveillance testing and be required to wear a mask at all times when indoors and when physical distancing cannot be maintained outdoors.
The Centers for Disease Control website has many resources for students and families to research the safety, efficacy and benefits of vaccination.
Saint Joseph’s will no longer require vaccinated members of the community and visitors to wear masks in most campus spaces beginning June 11. Exceptions include the student health center, while riding on campus transportation, camps and other instances where masks are still required by the Philadelphia Department of Public Health.
Unvaccinated members of the community and visitors will be required to wear masks indoors at all times and outdoors when physical distancing is not possible.
Any member of the community or visitor who feels more comfortable masking should continue to do so. This is a personal decision and should not be interpreted as an indication of anyone’s vaccination, medical or exemption status. Furthermore, if you sense someone is more comfortable around people who are masked, please approach these personal decisions with care and compassion. All are encouraged to carry masks, even while on campus, in case you encounter a situation that warrants wearing a mask.
Thank you for your support and commitment to keeping our community as safe and healthy as possible.