International Application Instructions
International applicants (seeking or holding non-immigrant visas) intending degree-seeking study must complete and submit the Application Form, along with all credentials and the required $35 USD application fee.
International applicants are not required to submit a credentials evaluation; transcript evaluations will be performed by Graduate Operations. However, applicants already possessing a course-by-course evaluation of their transcripts from a NACES approved international credentials evaluation service are encouraged to submit this in place of original transcripts. For those who do not possess a course-by-course evaluation, an official record of all college and university academic studies and results of state and/or national examinations taken are required. Academic records must include the name of each individual course, the grade earned, and the grading scale used. Documents must be submitted in one's native language with an official English translation.
Foreign documents, credentials and transcripts must be official (sealed and sent directly from the institution). Only originals or photocopies officially stamped and attested by a school official (Registrar, Principal, or Controller of Examinations) are accepted. Faxes, scanned or notarized copies or copies attested by a department head cannot be accepted as official. All credentials submitted to the Graduate Operations Office become property of the University and cannot be returned. All documents must be clearly marked with the applicant’s name.
Saint Joseph’s University
Graduate Operations Office
5600 City Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19131
Standardized Test Scores
Official test score reports - TOEFL, IELTS, GRE, etc. (only necessary if required by program) - must be sent directly to Saint Joseph's University. Our TOEFL & GRE code is 2801.
English Language Proficiency Requirements
International applicants whose native language is not English and who have not received degrees from English-speaking institutions are required to satisfy one of the following English proficiency requirements:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- International English Language Testing Service (IELTS)
- The Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE)
- Complete an intensive English Language program through an SJU approved ELS Center Program. Through a partnership with Saint Joseph’s University, the ELS Center is located on Saint Joseph’s Philadelphia campus.
The ELS Center, located on the main campus of Saint Joseph's University, is one of over 40 ELS locations in the United States. Students may submit proof of completion of ELS Level 112 from any ELS Center in the United States or overseas to satisfy SJU English language proficiency requirements. New ELS sessions begin every month. Further information is available at www.els.edu or www.sju.edu/els. Students may also contact ELS Philadelphia directly at:
ELS Language Centers/Philadelphia
c/o Saint Joseph's University
5414 Overbrook Avenue
Philadelphia, PA - 19131, USA
Given the importance of strong written and oral skills in our rigorous graduate programs, effective June 1, 2013, applicants who are submitting English language proficiency scores will be required to earn qualifying scores as identified below.
- iBT TOEFL (internet based) scores must have a minimum total score of 80 with no part score below 20 on the reading, listening, and writing sections.
- Applicants who are submitting a paper-based TOEFL (PBT) test scores must have a minimum total score of 550 with no part score below 55 on reading or listening sections and a TWE (Test of Written English) score of 5.0 or higher.
- Applicants who are submitting an IELTS score must have a minimum total score of 6.5 with part scores of 6.5 or higher on the reading, listening, and writing sections.
- Applicants who are submitting a PTE test score must have a minimum score of 60.