Reading Specialist Certification
The reading specialist certification (K-12) program is designed for individuals who possess a minimum Level I instructional certification and wish to focus on expanding their skills to improve reading achievement in their school or district by serving as master teachers, coaches or instructional specialists in K-12 school reading programs.
Preparing Reading Specialists and Master Teachers
The program has a dual focus: the preparation of reading specialists and the development of master teachers in reading. The curriculum concentrates on providing the student with extensive preparation in assessment and instruction in the area of literacy. During the five-week capstone internship, students utilize their knowledge from previous coursework. Upon completion, students are eligible to take the Pennsylvania reading specialist PRAXIS exam and apply for a reading specialist certification.
A Program with Clearly Defined Goals:
- Students will understand the psychological and sociological factors that shape literacy acquisition.
- Students will be able to utilize a battery of assessment measures to understand and address students’ literacy needs.
- Students will be able to act as a consultant in planning the direction and supervision of a school’s reading program.
- Students will be able to interpret the philosophy, methods and materials of literacy program for parents and the community.
- Students will be able to analyze, design, implement and evaluate literacy curricula.
The reading specialist certification (K-12) may be combined with a M.S. in education in the teacher education or special education areas or completed as a stand-alone certification for certified teachers.
Each year, the program offers a summer reading clinic that provides students the opportunity to participate in a hands-on field experience serving as teaching interns in a six-week reading camp for Philadelphia-area school children. This clinic focuses on providing school children enhanced instructional support to develop reading comprehension and higher-level thinking skills. Under the supervision of the program director and faculty, reading specialist graduate interns assist in developing individualized assessment and educational plans and deliver supervised group instruction to these children.