Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing PreK-12 Certification
Format Offered: Online
The Pennsylvania Department of Education, Bureau of School Leadership and Teacher Quality, has granted approval of Saint Joseph’s University’s Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing PreK-12 Certification Online. This certification leads to the PA Hearing Impaired PreK-12 Certification.
This program prepares educators for certification and to acquire the competencies specifically needed to support learning and development in children with hearing loss. As such, it is ideally suited for:
- Special education teachers seeking an additional certification
- General education teachers with an interest in becoming a teacher of students who are deaf and hard of hearing
- General education teachers with deaf or hard of hearing students in their classrooms
- Bachelor’s level professionals or paraprofessionals who are seeking initial certification and certification as a teacher of students who are deaf and hard of hearing *
- Related service personnel (e.g. Speech/Language Pathologists, Occupational Therapists, Physical Therapists) who wish to become teachers of students who are deaf and hard of hearing *
- Sign Language interpreters who wish to become teachers of students who are deaf and hard of hearing *
* These individuals’ credentials will be individually evaluated and additional pedagogy coursework may be required.
The demand for quality education professionals is on the rise. Building upon our existing expertise in this sector, Saint Joseph's University has created a School of Health Studies and Education, which will officially open in the Fall of 2019. Over 40 existing undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and certificate programs, including this one, will be housed in this school.