Saint Joseph’s University Enriches Community and Campus with Arts, Horticultural Programs at the Barnes Arboretum
PHILADELPHIA (September 27, 2018) — Today the Saint Joseph’s University campus community gathered with their neighbors at the Barnes Arboretum in Lower Merion to celebrate the long-term educational affiliation between the University and the Barnes Foundation. The educational partnership expands opportunities for both students and the surrounding community to engage in the horticulture education program, life sciences offerings and fine arts programming.
The gallery building will be named the Frances M. Maguire Museum to honor Saint Joseph’s alumnus James J. Maguire ’58 and his wife Frannie’s support of the University and commitment to educational and cultural initiatives. The building will be used by the University for its fine arts program and display, in keeping with its original use.
“Jim and Frannie generously committed a portion of their historic $50 million gift to the University for this collaboration, and naming the gallery in Frannie’s honor is a fitting tribute given her lifelong love and passion for the arts,” says Saint Joseph’s University President Mark C. Reed, Ed.D. “Their investment will help us educate our students in partnership with one of the most renowned cultural institutions in the world.”
“Dr. Albert C. Barnes envisioned one day partnering with a University for the horticultural education program founded by his wife Laura in 1940, and we are happy that day has arrived,” says Thom Collins, executive director and president of the Barnes Foundation. “With Saint Joseph’s commitment to expanding their teaching and training, and growing resources in this field for students of all levels and backgrounds, they are a natural partner for this important educational initiative. Together we will ensure the long-term growth of the Barnes’ horticulture program, the preservation of the Barnes Arboretum and its historic buildings, and expand educational opportunities for generations of students.”
The Barnes Foundation’s horticulture program continues without interruption — including the enrollment of new students — and students can continue to earn the Barnes horticulture certificate upon completion of the program requirements. In addition, the University will explore the creation of a new horticulture minor and possibly offering academic credit for select Barnes horticulture courses.
The Barnes retains oversight of the Arboretum and the historic buildings, while the day-to-day operations and grounds are now managed by Saint Joseph’s University.
About the Barnes Foundation:
The Barnes Foundation is a nonprofit cultural and educational institution that shares its unparalleled art collection with the public, organizes special exhibitions and presents programming that fosters new ways of thinking about human creativity. The Barnes Collection is displayed in ensembles that integrate art and objects from across cultures and time periods, overturning traditional hierarchies and revealing universal elements of human expression. Home to one of the world's finest collections of impressionist, post-impressionist and early modernist paintings — including the largest groups of paintings by Pierre-Auguste Renoir and Paul Cézanne in existence — the Barnes brings together renowned masterworks by such artists as Henri Matisse, Pablo Picasso, Amedeo Modigliani and Vincent van Gogh, alongside ancient, medieval, Renaissance and non-Western art as well as metalwork, furniture and decorative art.
The Barnes Foundation was established by Albert C. Barnes, MD, in 1922 to "promote the advancement of education and the appreciation of the fine arts and horticulture." Since moving to the heart of Philadelphia in 2012, the Barnes has expanded its commitment to teaching visual literacy in groundbreaking ways, investing in original scholarship relating to its collection and enhancing accessibility throughout every facet of its program.