USciences and Saint Joseph’s are engaging in a robust integration planning process throughout the 2021-2022 academic year. Integrating all aspects of our Universities is likely to take several years. Read more about the integration vision, structure and current projects here.
To guide our work, our Universities have collaboratively drafted an integration vision, which will serve as our philosophy over the next year as we plan our integration and years into the future as we finalize all aspects of our combination.
USciences will integrate with and into Saint Joseph’s University to evolve into one comprehensive academic community. In doing so, we will expand interdisciplinary, value-driven program offerings that meet the needs of today’s student and tomorrow’s world. One unified curriculum – with a liberal arts core and leading, in-demand professional programs – will challenge students to engage in novel program combinations, co-curriculars and high-impact educational experiences.
Together, we will approach the business of higher education with confidence, innovation and adaptability. Our integration will become a model for partnerships in higher education with a commitment to students across generations; a focus on financial stewardship and building revenue; and an eye toward proactively preparing for an ever-changing future.
Most integration initiatives will take place under one of three program areas: academics; administration and support services; and the student lifecycle. The program areas are led by counterparts at each institution. For example, the provosts of USciences and SJU lead the academic program area.
There are some elements that cut across some or all of the vertical program areas such as diversity, equity and inclusion; community building; and mission. To assure that those elements are managed and that communication is maintained between all areas, the program leaders and the embedded IT, communication and project management professionals comprise the Integration Coordinating Committee. This committee coordinates integration work and identifies areas that warrant discussion at the Integration Executive Council level, which is composed of University presidents and their designees.
Academic Program Work
- Middle States Complex Substantive Change Forms - The accreditation documents required from each University to explain and detail our plans to integrate, due in late September. A visit from the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) will occur in early 2022.
- Combined Academic Structure - The Schools and Colleges that will make up Saint Joseph’s University.
- Curricula and Department Integration - Determining the equivalencies, substitutions and programs of study for all Saint Joseph’s students (also known as teach-in/teach-out plans). Develop plans to integrate similar academic departments.
- Legal Requirements - Determine and finalize all legal requirements in advance of closing.
- Faculty Handbook - Incorporate applicable and necessary elements from the USciences faculty handbook into Saint Joseph’s faculty handbook.
- Academic Calendar and Course Schedule Alignment - Align our course blocks and academic calendars to prepare for registration in the spring for the fall 2022 semester.
- Student Systems - Identify and create pathways, systems and support to ensure seamless process for academic advising and registration in the spring for the fall 2022 semester.
Future Academic Program Work
- Research and Grants
- Centers and Institutes
- Review Academic Policies
- Articulation and Affiliation Agreements
- Academic Advising
- Academic Portfolio Review and Prioritization
- Academic Catalog
- Institutional Effectiveness
- Faculty Development
- Dual Enrollment Opportunities
- Graduate Assistants, Student Instructors and Research Assistants
- General Education Program Curricula
Administration and Support Services Program Work
- Human Resources
- Finance (Budget, Controller, Purchasing)
- Legal / Risk Management
- Facilities, Master Planning and Auxiliary Services
- Planning RFPs/RFQs for Large Contracts
Current Student Lifecycle Program Work
- Service Delivery Mode
- Student Handbook
- Admissions Messaging
- Transportation Logistics
- Athletics & Recreation
- International Students and Scholars Compliance
- Title IX
Future Student Lifecycle Program Work
- Marketing and Communications Operations Integration
- Brand Integration