The Barnes Arboretum at Saint Joseph’s University
In 2018, Saint Joseph’s University and the Barnes Foundation launched an educational collaboration expanding opportunities for students and the surrounding community to engage in horticulture education and the arts.
The Barnes Arboretum at Saint Joseph’s University is open to the public every Monday - Friday 830 AM - 530 PM and 1100 AM - 530 PM on Saturday and Sunday except when the University is closed. For the most up to date hours, check our listing on Google Maps.
- No reservations or tickets are required to enjoy the grounds. We do encourage a donation to the Arboretum, which can be done here.
- Cold bottled water and other beverages are available for purchase in vending machines outside of the service building.
- Restrooms are available for the use of guests in the service building.
- Arboretum map-guides are available at the Welcome Center.
The Barnes Arboretum at Saint Joseph's University is a space that is designated for quiet reflection, personal decompression, and to enjoy the beauty of nature. With this in mind, please considerate of others by:
Respecting the Garden
- Please do not climb our trees.
- Refrain from entering garden beds.
- Please do not collect any material from the garden
- Please do not litter, trash receptacles are provided near the service building and welcome center.
- Pets are not permitted on the grounds with the exception of service animals.
- Please refrain from sporting activities (e.g. golf, frisbee, etc.).
- Saint Joseph's University is a smoke-free campus, no smoking is permitted on the grounds.
- We encourage our guests to take photos for personal use and post them on social media. The arboretum can be found on Instagram @barnesarboretumsju
- No professional photography without permission. Please contact us at (610) 660-2802 for more information.
Support the Arboretum
Friends of the Barnes Arboretum at Saint Joseph's University can support the educational and outreach efforts of the arboretum in a number of ways.
If you are interested in donating your time to the arboretum, please click here and fill out the volunteer interest form so that we may contact you regarding our docent program, garden work days, and other opportunities.
Financial support of the arboretum is always appreciated. Donations support addition and maintenance of our plant collections, garden maintenance and educational programming.
The three-year Horticulture Certificate Program offers a comprehensive approach to the science and methods of horticulture and design. Coursework emphasizes aesthetics and the practical application of knowledge. The Arboretum and its greenhouse serve as the program’s laboratories. Additionally, we offer a number of hands-on workshops for amateur gardeners and horticulture enthusiasts.
Join Our Mailing List
Stay connected with the Barnes. Receive special announcements and get updates on events or classes offered at the Barnes Arboretum.