Apply to ACESJU
Now accepting applications for Cohort 13
College graduates who seek teaching and administrative placements in urban Catholic elementary and secondary schools are encouraged to apply. We currently have a high need for teachers in math, science or physical education.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the cohort is filled. Any applications submitted in by November 4th will be given priority in the selection process.
Important Dates for Cohort 13 (June 2023-June 2025)
- July 1, 2022: Cohort 13 Application Opens
- November 4, 2022 Priority Deadline
- December 15, 2022 Priority Deadline II
- December 2022 - March 2023: Interviews
- January 15th, 2023 Application deadline
- February - April 2023: Placements Made
- June 1, 2023: Completion of Background Checks for those Accepted
- June 25, 2023: ACESJU Cohort 13 begins
Teaching Fellows often pursue an M.S. in Education degree with Certification in Elementary (grades preK-4), Middle Years (grades 4-8), or Secondary with a Content Area (grades 7-12).
We also welcome applicants who already possess a Level I certification and are interested in pursuing an additional certification (i.e., Reading Specialist, Special Education). Applicants will have the opportunity to list their teaching level preference on their application.
These degrees and certification options require certain prerequisites. For example, applicants pursing a Level I Secondary Education Certification will need to have graduated with a degree in their desired teaching field (i.e. English, History, Biology, etc) and/or have a satisfactory number of credits in a given teaching field (i.e. 21 credits in English and 21 credits in Math). Certain exceptions may be made for comparable courses or degrees. For example, an applicant may have taken courses in Journalism instead of English, or Political Science instead of History. Interested applicants can request that ACESJU review their academic background to determine if prerequisites are met.
Administrative/ Counseling Fellows
Administrative fellows support the educational missions of their schools by working as campus ministers, development officers, enrollment managers, guidance councilors or in other administrative roles. In the past, administrative fellows have pursued an MS in Organization Development And Leadership from Saint Joesph’s University, an MS in Business and Strategic Leadership from Neumann University, or an MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.
The ACESJU online application is a fairly swift application requiring basic background and education information, information on ACESJU interest and placement/degree preferences, and the below listed required documents:
- College/University Unofficial Transcripts (from ALL institutions attended and any credits obtained)
- Four Recommendations
- Personal Statement
- Four Short Essays
The ACESJU application requires recommendations from the following four recommenders
- Academic - preferably a professor, who is able to speak to your academic performance and ability to perform at the graduate level. take on graduate level work.
- Work/Professional - preferably a work or internship supervisor (paid or unpaid) who can speak to your past or present work/professional performance.
- Spiritual - someone, perhaps a campus minister or clergy person, who can speak to your spirituality
- Peer - a friend, teammate, or colleague who can speak to your ability to relate to others both at the individual and community level.
Once the recommender’s information has been uploaded, they will automatically receive an email with instructions as to how to submit their letter of recommendation. These documents will be automatically sent to the ACESJU review committee and added to your application file. It is the responsibility of the applicant to follow up with recommenders to ensure their documents have been submitted.
You will be asked to upload a personal statement. To begin writing your personal statement at any time, the prompt is listed below:
Why are you interested in becoming an ACESJU Education Fellow? What motivated you to apply to the ACESJU Program?
Please keep your response to 250 words. This should be written before the prompt.
Applicants will also be asked to upload four essay responses. To begin writing your essays prior to starting your online application, each of the prompts are listed below. Please keep all responses to 250 words.
- Short Answer 1: What is the most significant community that you have been a part of, and how did that community shape you as a person?
- Short Answer 2: Describe your spirituality. Are there any influences on that spirituality by way of a person, faith tradition or religious commitments??
- Short Answer 3: Describe an experience when a group or individual guided you to improve or develop. How did they assist you in getting better or progressing?
- Short Answer 4: Describe the greatest adversity you have faced in your life. What did you do to get through the situation, and what did the experience teach you?
In the Required Documents section of the application, you will be asked to upload a current professional resume to the application.