Computer Science Internships & Co-Ops
Computer Science Internships
Computer science internships and co-ops (CSC 490/690) are available and encouraged for both undergraduate and graduate students. Internships have helped students expand their skill sets, prepare for life after Saint Joseph's University and build relationships that have greatly benefitted their careers.
- First-hand experience of the daily activities of professionals in computer science and related fields.
- Verification of an interest in a particular area of computer science or information technology.
- Develop and hone skills required for the computing or technology profession.
- Establish contacts outside the academic community who will facilitate a career in computer science or information technology.
- During the semester, students are expected to complete a minimum of 8 hours weekly for 14 weeks. Students can work one full day or two half-days. However, this can be flexible depending upon the site’s needs.
- During the summer, between junior and senior year, students are full-time for eight weeks. This is the best alternative.
- Students are expected to attend meetings with the internship coordinator/faculty mentor to discuss intern log and site issues. Two or three meetings a semester are typical.
Students must complete the following before, during and after their internship. A typed, electronic version of each is required:
- A detailed narrative on your internship site
- Location, size and type of business.
- Organizational structure.
- Recent operational history.
- Internship log
- Filled in after each visit to the internship site during the semester.
- Must be evaluated by the internship coordinator/faculty mentor at meetings.
- Report and oral presentation
- A report must be submitted on a topic related to your internship.
- A short presentation of your report to the department is required.
- A detailed narrative on your internship site
Grades will be determined by:
- Internship Agreement and midterm/final evaluations by your on-site supervisor. Evaluation forms are sent twice a semester.
- Quality of student's narrative, log, report and presentation.
- Punctual and regular site attendance.
- Meetings with internship coordinator or faculty mentor.
The following is a list of internship placements where both graduate and undergraduate students have gained valuable experience. Upon graduation, many students were offered full-time positions at these companies.
- Arris Group, Inc. (Suwanee, GA)
- Ateck Computers, Inc. (Mt. Laurel, NJ)
- AXA Insurance (Seacaucus, NJ)
- Azavea (Philadelphia, PA)
- BlueGolf, LLC (Wayne, PA)
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (Philadelphia, PA)
- Chiltern International (King of Prussia, PA)
- Comcast Corporation (Philadelphia, PA)
- Compunnel Software Group, Inc. (Plainsboro, NJ)
- Delaware Valley Community Health (Philadelphia, PA)
- Drexel Library (SJU) (Philadelphia, PA)
- Elsevier, Inc. (Philadelphia, PA)
- Exelon Business Services (Philadelphia, PA)
- Follett, LLC (Easton, PA)
- Franklin Institute (Philadelphia, PA)
- Harmelin Media (Bala Cynwyd, PA)
- Independent Blue Cross (Philadelphia, PA)
- Lamb Financial Group (New York, NY)
- Linx-AS (Blue Bell, PA)
- Lockheed Martin (King of Prussia, PA)
- PIM Interconnection (Audubon, PA)
- Madison Square Garden and Radio City Music Hall (New York, NY)
- Morey’s Piers (Wildwood, NJ)
- MyFavesClub (Philadelphia, PA)
- QVC (West Chester, PA)
- RoundCorner (Villanova, PA)
- SA International (Houston, TX)
- SAP North America (Newtown Square, PA)
- SEI Investments (Oaks, PA)
- Siemens (Spring House, PA)
- Sita Corp (Somerset, NJ)
- Smarter Agent (Camden, NJ)
- Solve Media (Philadelphia, PA)
- Star Group (Philadelphia, PA)
- Starship Health Technologies (Plymouth Meeting, PA)
- Saint Joseph’s University (Philadelphia, PA)
- SunGard (Wayne, PA)
- TCG Capital (Miami, FL)
- Under Armour Corporate Headquarters (Baltimore, MD)
- University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill, NC)
- University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA)
- University of West Virginia (Morgantown, WV)
- West Catholic Preparatory High School (Philadelphia, PA)
Co-Op Program at SAP
The Department of Computer Science at Saint Joseph's University has a partnership with SAP Software Solutions, a multinational software corporation based in Germany with offices in 180 countries, through its Student Training and Rotation (STAR) Program.
SAP representatives interview our students every fall semester for paid internship and co-op positions. The co-op program offers full-time, paid employment during two summer semesters and a minimum of 10 hours/week during two fall semesters.
Here's a breakdown of the co-op program schedule: